• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone make a high quality Koto? Pan Flute?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone make a high quality Koto? Pan Flute?

I was thinking about picking up a few unusual instruments. Does anyone know where I might find these? Thanks in advance.

John

Re: Anyone make a high quality Koto? Pan Flute?

Bardstown Audio has plans for a collection of Pan Flutes. I think they will be out early next year.

I would love to sample a koto. I am in the right part of the world for it. As far as I am aware no-one has done it yet. I play the instrument myself a bit (Ikuta-ryu), but it would be much better if I could pursuade my teacher to do it. The problem is finding someone suitable to take care of the technical recording side, about which I have very little competance. I would sample at least three velocities, plus bends, scrapes, tremolos, and various other techniques. Other Japanese instruments, such as the Shamisen and Shakuhachi would be good to sample as well. But I suspect the realization of any such project is rather far off in the future, if I ever get to do it at all.

There is a very useable pan flute you can download for free. It was made by Thomas J., and can be found at:
    http://62.13.11.115/tjgigs/

Nice koto samples would be great indeed!!! I suggest you to plan it well and do it right, if you engage on this venture...

maybe Nicks going to do it for Rare Ins II, ?

Ed

Doesn\'t that one China library have it on Soundsonline? I don\'t know what it\'s called, sorry.

Listen to the demo for Ilio\'s World Winds. It sounds terrific. They have covered everything from panflute to bagpipes.

Hiya...

On Soundsonline there\'s a CD called \"The Legend of China\" and it contains samples from all Chinese instruments... Including the Koto (which we call Zheng in Chinese) and the bamboo flute, which is similar to a pan flute but with lots of shrills in the higher frequencies...

The samples are ok but sampled at very odd intervals... It took me a hellova job to put them into wav format and then map them individually across as an EXS instrument... Needless to say, I gave up after a while because its also very hard to find nice loop points for some of the instruments...

meeehoon

Go Back to forum