• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best way to match beat loops with tempo in Cakewalk 9 with Gigasamples?

Share/Bookmark

Best way to match beat loops with tempo in Cakewalk 9 with Gigasamples?

For those of you who use Cakewalk 9, how do you get your beat loops to match the tempo of a song? I\'ve tried just recording them in realtime and matching it as close to the metronome as I can, but when I link another bar together with it, they always come out a tee bit to short and you can notice the small gap between the bars.
    Is there a way I can match the loops exactly as a midi file to the tempo grid without having to mix the beats down to audio and stretch them? I noticed the edit-fit to time function, is this my answer? I\'ve tried it, but I still dont get great results.

Re: Best way to match beat loops with tempo in Cakewalk 9 with Gigasamples?

Damon,

I don\'t use Cakewalk, but no one\'s replied - so maybe I can help (a little).

In my old Atari/Cubase setup, what I would do was to assign the loop to two separate notes, but have both running the original pitch.

Then in the sequencer I would enter one loop note which lasted two bars and started on, say, bar 1. Then I would enter the second loop note, but make it start on bar 2.

When you play the sequencer you hear the loop on bar one, and then both loops on bar two.
    I\'ve usually found that there\'s enough identical material in bars one and two of your average loop to cause a bit of phasing when the second loop starts - if the tempo is correct.

I just keep tweaking the tempo until it sounds right.

I also find that the default envelope for a lot of sounds allows for a brief release time. When applied to a drum loop, this release time will play the drums slightly longer than your intention - the reults is that you hear a little of the beginning of the next bar in the loop. If your tempo is perfect you get phase cancelling for part of the downbeat where both parts of the loop coincide. If not, you get a flam.

Just set the release on the loops to 0.

Sorry I can\'t help with Cakewalk.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 10-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:
    For those of you who use Cakewalk 9, how do you get your beat loops to match the tempo of a song? I\'ve tried just recording them in realtime and matching it as close to the metronome as I can, but when I link another bar together with it, they always come out a tee bit to short and you can notice the small gap between the bars.
    Is there a way I can match the loops exactly as a midi file to the tempo grid without having to mix the beats down to audio and stretch them? I noticed the edit-fit to time function, is this my answer? I\'ve tried it, but I still dont get great results.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...need more info. It sounds like your ripping the rhythms from CD (a rhythm CD library) directly to audio tracks? That would painful...

Can you tell us a bit more about what you\'re trying to do and the resources/setup?

Generally if you\'re using canned loops for rhythm tracks, you\'re kinda stuck with whatever tempa the loop was recorded at (unless you stretch it or hack it up in an editor, which can yield good results, but is labor intensive.)

Let\'s have some more info on your project, and I\'ll try to help. I\'m using Cakewalk PA 9, so I can certainly give you my 2 cents worth, but what are you attempting?

-L

Thanks for your replies guys. Basically I\'m just using some beat loops off of Distorted Reality 2 and surprisingly enough I can get them to loop smoothly using them just as a 2 bar midi file loop. I just have to make sure the loop ends on .119. If it goes to .120 then it cuts the next loop off. It\'s kind of weird but it\'s great not to have to mix the loop down to audio and stretch it. Luckily all of the loops on Distorted Reality 2 are quantized and match well with the tempos on Cakewalk.

Damon,

I\'m guessing the reason your loops get cut off when you have the note length set at 120 is that 120 is the exact length from one note start to the next. That wouldn\'t be a problem, except that you\'re playing the same note (eg C3) back to back with itself. If it was C3(2bars)--D3(2 bars)-C3 (2bars) etc it\'d be fine because there\'s a whole two bars of space between the note off of the first C3 and the note on of the second C3.

I find the same cancelling thing happens in Cubase and Logic, so I draw my loop note for the full two bars length, and then take 10 clicks worth off it. Otherwise I think the sound modules tend to not see the note off soon enough before they get the subsequent note on for the same key.

Seems like you worked that out though

Chadwick has it exactly right. When you\'ve got the duration at 120 ticks, your note-off is cutting the next note short, reducing it by one tick should be fine. (119 instead of 120 for duration...)

One work around (but ram/resource intensive) is to load the loop twice (in two different channels) and trigger them one after the other (ie: C3 in channel one, C3 in channel two, C3 in channel 1...etc)

Good luck! When/Where can we hear your work?

-L

I\'ll post my work up soon! Thanks for asking. I haven\'t figured out how to do CD to MP3, but I will soon.
    I\'m working on a real strange ambient electronica piece right now that uses boys choirs from SOV, distorted reality 2 sounds, and the gigapiano. It sounds kind of like an atmospheric Peter Pannish type thing (if that makes any sense!). It\'s called \"Wish.\"

Go Back to forum