• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My first foray into the world of video game music - The Underground Lake City

Share/Bookmark

My first foray into the world of video game music - The Underground Lake City

Greetings my NS friends.

Here's my first ever attempt at video game music. It's a 3 minute loop (a bit messy transition right now; I'll have to fix it) depicting an underground city built around a lake. Brief calls for ominous and alien. Any game music composers' comments and suggestions would be especially appreciated!

<font size="3">

Piano and strings from Dimension Pro. Choir is Microchoir. Brass from GPO and Sonatina Symphony Orchestra. Timpani is GPO. Cymbals from Sonatina.

Best wishes to all
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: My first foray into the world of video game music - The Underground Lake City

Sounds really good to me, Owen! Atmospheric, ominous, and seems like it would work really well as the soundtrack to a game that has a scene like this.

Randy

Re: My first foray into the world of video game music - The Underground Lake City

Excellent Owen! The orchestration plus FX effects were perfectly balanced JMO. In a lot of game music, the FX effects can over power the melody. I like that your rippley water effect peeps in and out of the musical fabric, doesn't dominate but lends to the overall mood.

Do you intend to partner with a game developer? Should check with Richard here to see if he needs any assistance with his many projects on his plate. Sometimes you just don't have the time to "do it all", and me might welcome some incidental music help.... maybe not, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I just got done watching a movie where a person drowns in the ocean and you see him sink slowly into a canyon ravine with seaweed and murky water swirling around. This would be perfect for that clip also.

Wonderful mood set piece. Keep up the good work!!

Cass

Randy: Thanks for listening and commenting. Glad to hear that the atmosphere worked for you.

Cass: Appreciate the feedback. Glad you enjoyed! I really have little experience with game music other than Space Invaders (lol) but I saw this project on one of those crowd sourcing sites (audiocatch) with an excellent description of what they wanted, and thought it sounded like something I could do. I had a lot of fun with it, anyway.

Hey Owen! I think that this sounds good. It makes me think of a big underground cavern. I would like to see what kind of images you would attach to this. I have to say that the water sounds a little bit like a toilet flushing. Maybe the sound of waves hitting the shoreline would be more appropriate. Nonetheless, your foray into the video game realm is a good one. Thanks for posting. Jay

Jay: Thanks for giving me a giggle with your comparison to a toilet! That sure put images into my head! The Great Toilet of Doom. Actually, I wasn't completely happy with it, but I do not have any other water sound effects at my disposal. Talking of which, does anyone know of a good source of SFX that can be used royalty free?

Outstanding! Nice job, talented Brit person! Your bass pedal-tones add a lot to the overall sound.

It looks as though you could have a fine career in the game-music business. Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Owen, this really got my interest. This is perfect for game music! This is very atmospheric and well sounds like an ancient underwater city!!! Very prominent and mysterious, and at the same time powerful. In LOE, this piece would fit nicely in one of my areas... The idea with gaming music is not more on expressiveness like you would hear in classical music but atmosphere, making the music sound like it was meant for that aria. Expressive video game music would come into play in cut scenes or very important scenes such a the main theme, grand epic battles, etc... For the most part video game music IMO sounds best at basics.

I welcome any help in the making of the score for LOE - Armageddon from anyone. However, LOE - Armageddon is non-prophet project so it would be volunteer work. If anyone is interested I could write up a full list of compositions needed. I have a chunk done and Graham (Plowking) has composed a few already as well, but there is still much more work to be done in that field.

Anyways, great work Owen, this is beautiful!

Regards,

Richard

Great job, Owen!
    It DOES nicely reproduce the image you wanted to draw... and sounding pretty cool while doing this. Even the choir does a nice job.. I noticed lots of you picked it up lately. The reverb is absolutely perfect. It creates the sensation of a wide space but without making any of the instruments lose definition. VERY nice, actually. Which reverb are we talking about? Is this the "sum" of several reverb processors?

I liked you water, too! Jay is just being naughty
    By the way, check this out:

http://www.freesound.org/search/?q=&...downloads+desc

186000 sounds... no way you'll stop browsing them before you'll have the first symptoms of knee-arthritis

Thanks!

Fab

I am the rare person who never played games, so my comment is as virginal as one can get, I mean I listen to your composition as beautiful music, not as an add-on to some game.
    As some of the other pieces you posted, you are a master of orchestration, and, despite that you are calling it experimental, to me it is a beautifully painted scene, complete and just plain great.
    I hope you don't think that I am overdoing your praise. We never will meet, I do not want your good will, just this is my honest feeling about what you have done. It sounds like you do not think as highly about it as I do, but you should. Listen to it again not with self-criticism, but with love.
    Great, great Owen

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast