• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rode NT4 problem

Share/Bookmark

Rode NT4 problem

I\'ve only had this microphone since Friday and already there seems to be a problem with it. Generally its been great, I\'ve recorded a lot of sounds and the quality has been top notch. But now something seems to have happened to it; when I try to record or monitor through it there is a low hiss coming through the right side. Its not an actualy sound as it always stays on the right and wherever I go it remains so I don\'t think its some kind of interference. If I turn up the mic level it gets louder.

Any idea what this could be? Moisture build up? I can\'t think of anything that could have happened to it. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Rode NT4 problem

Are you running it on a battery or phantom power?

Sounds like a freak bad one, if this isn\'t a dead battery thing. Unless you dunked it into a glass of water or have an extreme environment in terms of humidity, it doesn\'t sound like a humidity problem. Humidity\'s negative effects on condensers tend to be cumulative rather than sudden.

Bummer. I\'d take it back and get another. I\'ve had one here for about six months and so far nothing like that has happened. Great sounding mic, though, isn\'t it?

Its running on battery power but I tried changing batteries to no avail. Its been fine until today, I literally woke up tried it on a new recording and there\'s this hiss sound all of a sudden...its not incredibly loud unless I turn the level up but it _is_ there and I can\'t hear it in any of the recordings made earlier this week. Maybe I\'ll have to take it back then. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

You\'re right though its an awesome sounding mic! Clean as a whistle and very sensitive. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One thought...

You can unscrew and reverse the two diaphragm units, i.e. switch the channels. That will let you know if tne problem is in the diaphragm itself.

I guess you\'ve been through the obvious things, cords, connectors, etc....

Yes of course, I just wondered in case I ever damaged them. Thanks a lot for your help. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was about to purchase 2 NT5s. Is there any other advantage with the NT4 apart from convenience?

Originally posted by Beckers:
    I was about to purchase 2 NT5s. Is there any other advantage with the NT4 apart from convenience?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As far as I have been able to tell, there is not any particular sonic advantage to the NT-4 over the NT-5 set, except in terms of quick sound captures, etc., where the pre-configured 90 degree XY lets you get going very quickly. You could set the NT-5 up exactly the same way with the right stand-mount, but have the additional flexibility that two mics gives you, for exploring other stereo techniques.

The only other advantage I can think of is the NT-4\'s ability to run on a battery--which makes it good for DV/DAT/MD ambient sound capture in the field. But it really needs a serious windscreen, like a boom-style zeppelin rig, if you\'re goint to work outside in all but the most calm conditions. It\'s a very sensitive mic, so it\'s likewise sensitive to wind, even with the foam windscreen in place. You need phantom power for the NT-5 pair.

I have found that the NT-4 and NT-5 set combine very nicely. I have used the NT-4 as a main pickup source and the NT-5 set as a room pickup, and also used the NT-4 as the general \"overhead\" and the NT-5 for spot mics. It\'s a very well thought out design. I have not done any sampling with these mics, but have used them to get some extremely nice location recording. As I work them out more, I\'ll have a better idea of how they stand up to the heavyweights (I\'m trying to get a big gig where I can mount them in the same positions as some hardcore mics, and do some A/B comparison).

That\'s really great to hear, Bruce! They really are by far the most sound purchase anyone needing stereo condensors could make for the price. On a budget I was choosing between the NT4 and 5\'s, and ended up going with the pair for the versatility, but I had been thinking about picking up a 4 now and using them as you just described. I used them to do a trombone sample session already, and I\'m about to do some small ensemble flutes with them, but I think I might hold off until I pick up the NT4 first after hearing about the success you\'ve had with that.

Also a great company, btw. You mentioned you knew the owner. After I purchased the mic\'s and was filling out my warranty info, I was testing \'em out and of course simply blown away! I mean they are SO well matched. I\'ve had experiences with much more expensive mic\'s that were \"supposed\" to be matched, and that made this experience so much the more impressive. So I added my thanks in the comments section of the warranty, and only minutes later I\'m recieving very kind emails from Rode, including the owner. That says so much about a company, really. Anyone considering any kind of mic purchase should at least look to see what Rode has to offer that might be suitable. Chances are, they\'ll impress one way or another.

Thanks for that reply, Bruce. For solo violin sampling I was planning to use one NT 5 in front and one over the shoulder. However, this may lead to too much timbre difference between the channels (as Dan Dean has) and too wide an instrument for my needs. Perhaps it would be simpler and safer to go for an NT4. I have only limited experience.

That\'s it Bruce. If I reverse the diaphragm heads its on the other side! I better get it replaced then. Just out of interest, how much do these heads cost?

Thanks for your help.

Go Back to forum