• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for Dave Govett

Share/Bookmark

Question for Dave Govett

Dave,

I am not much of a computer person but I love the capabilities that gigastudio affords me. However there are some instruments that I feel could be a great deal more useful if they had additional velocity layers. Is there a section on your tutorial that deals with the addition of velocity layers to existing libraries and if so can a technical fool such as myself figure it out? I don\'t mind doing hours of grunt work. I just want to know how feasible the process is and if it is covered in your cd tutorial. Thanks for any information you can give me.

John

Re: Question for Dave Govett

You need samples recorded at different levels to add more velocity levels. If you use the same samples, it probably won\'t make much difference.

-- Martin

I was thinking of taking the wav files, loading them into Soundforge and adjusting the amplitude in order to create new levels. Does this make any sense? Again, I don\'t rightly know what I am doing.

actually adjsuting the amplitude would be redundant. Thats what velocity response does in gigastudio. The amplitude is adjsuted depending on how hard you strike the key AS WELL as switching samples if there are more than one velocity split.

A better option would be to EQ the sample slightly. (I do it). This can actually lead to some very interesting results that I\'m not willing to share jsut yet, because I\'m still developing them.

Thank you Sire,

That does clear things up a bit for me and I see how that would be redundant. I clearly need to get Govett\'s tutorial. I will pick it up soon. Thanks for answering my uneducated question.

John

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    actually adjsuting the amplitude would be redundant. Thats what velocity response does in gigastudio. The amplitude is adjsuted depending on how hard you strike the key AS WELL as switching samples if there are more than one velocity split.

A better option would be to EQ the sample slightly. (I do it). This can actually lead to some very interesting results that I\'m not willing to share jsut yet, because I\'m still developing them.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Jesus...: me too, for the last 2 months, but on a solo violin.

Hello John,

Thanks to Martin and KingIdiot for jumping in.

Sorry for the delayed response here. I was gonna wait and let Dave answer this but he\'s up to his @ss in alligators right now with some deadlines.

The GigaStudio Mastery Tutorial (in which I am a co-conspirator) has the subject of velocity splits and region mapping well covered.

In the meantime, if you haven\'t got it already, there is an Instrument Editor Help update available for free download here:

GigaStudio Instrument Editor Help update

Check out the sections \"Velocity Map\" and \"Region Map\" as well as the overview and \"Anatomy of a Gig File\".

Have fun,

Kevin

Go Back to forum