• Register
  • Help

Topic: Seeking Information about Upgrading My Garritan Libraries

Share/Bookmark

Seeking Information about Upgrading My Garritan Libraries

I am considering upgrading my copies of GPO and GJ&BB to the Aria versions from the Kontakt versions I now use. However, before I do, I would like to know two things. First, is there a way to transfer my numerous .studio files over to the .aria file format necessary for use in Aria Engine? Second, aside from the obvious advantage of using Aria over the early Kontakt host, is there any difference between the newest versions of GPO and GJ&BB and the earlier versions? I know about the inclusion of some SAM samples in GPO 4. But is there anything else that has been improved in these two libraries since their original releases, such as, duplicate samples in instruments identified as different, various noises and artifacts, and vibrating open strings?

Re: Seeking Information about Upgrading My Garritan Libraries

These questions are always a bit tough to answer, Sean. It's been so many years now since the Kontakt days, I really can't remember what all the differences are. - I'll take a crack at your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Damon View Post
    ...is there a way to transfer my numerous .studio files over to the .aria file format necessary for use in Aria Engine?
    In a word - No. There isn't a way to do that. The programming is totally different, so the ensembles you built with the old "studio" technology won't translate.
    ...is there any difference between the newest versions of GPO and GJ&BB and the earlier versions?... anything else that has been improved in these two libraries since their original releases, such as, duplicate samples in instruments identified as different...
    Not sure what you mean by the duplicate samples-?
    ...various noises and artifacts, and vibrating open strings?...
    There's nothing like that. JABB always had breath noises and string bass thumps, guitar string squeaks - No new artifacts added to either Library.

Things that would be new to you-AutoLegato, built in Convolution reverb, and of course you know you can load 16 instruments per instance of ARIA.

Randy

Hi Sean,

Randy answered this thoroughly ... I'll just add ...

Re: "Duplicate Samples" ... Are you referring to the Solo Instrument/Player Instruments relationship? The answer would be 'no', it's the same: the solo instruments are still built from the Player Instruments and therefore should still be used mutually exclusively.

JaBB: I arrange a lot of jazz, and the 'new' trumpet shake creation method in JaBB 3 is a breeze compared to the KonTakt days. I think fondly of Tom Hopkins every time I use it and am grateful he streamlined this complicated process. I use it all the time and it is so fast and easy (and realistic!) I would upgrade just for that! LOL.

Actually, if you are on the fence with upgrading, I would recommend it. Aria is a very elegant interface. I use nine instances in my 'standard' template file in Sonar ... well over 100 instruments culled from GPO, JaBB, CoMB, and GAS.

One cautionary: The volume levels will not translate from KonTakt to Aria flavors. I just left my legacy projects alone and never worried about it.

Good luck with your decision!

Frank

Will do!

Thank you very much, guys!

Go Back to forum