• Register
  • Help

Topic: What are the sample libraries I should buy?

Share/Bookmark

What are the sample libraries I should buy?

Hi,hello again. Thank you for all you previous help. I\'ve had gigastudio(i\'m so disgraced for previously naming it gigastudien!) up and running for about a day and I thoroughly enjoyed it\'s Gigapiano programs. But I need to have the more sounds, why did Gigastudio only come with a piano? I am puzzled, for my Triton came with all the sounds in it, not just a piano. I am assuming that I have to buy more sample libraries to get the new sounds? If so, what I should purchase? I need the sounds for the orchestral and the pop/rock for I am to score commercial sometime this month. If I cannot be purchased a new sounds I am guessing that I will just use my old Triton. Any help would be to appreciating.
    Torvald

Re: What are the sample libraries I should buy?

What\'s your budget for libraries?

How about some free percussion to start with?

http://www.gtownsounds.com/

There are so many I don\'t think I can list them all. Do a search for the following here and you\'ll find a lot of info:

GOS
    Project Sam
    VSL
    EWQLSO
    SISS
    Dan Dean
    Kirk Hunter
    Westgate

Those are all solid reccomendations there, I\'d suggest that you specify more criteria however. If you want a cheap comprehensive orchestral solution specifically for GigaStudio there aren\'t a lot of options. There are 2 libraries by the companies mentioned here, East West Quantum Leap Silver and Garritan Personal Orchestra, that serve you with full orchestras for under $300 but they use the Kontakt/Kompakt player. Now, there\'s also Advanced Orchestra for $500 for GigaStudio but it\'s getting very dated. If you\'re serious about getting a relatively full featured orchestra specifically for GigaStudio, the cheapest serious option is VSL Opus 1 (which I think just came out) for just under $1000.

If you only want a specific section of the orchestra check out the other libraries mentioned. The SAM libraries let you pick and choose which part of the brass section you want for instance and they are hands down the absoloute best brass libraries I\'ve encountered. With strings it\'s a matter of preference, usually GOS or SISS for ensembles and both have lite versions that are cheaper than the advanced ones... anyway, it all depends on what you want more specifically. Good luck with all this and feel free to field more comments!

From the last reply, am I to understand that the \"EWQLSO\" will not run with Giga?

I was about to make my first library purchase today and buy EWQLSO GOLD, thinking all along it was compatible with Giga.

I\'m confused. Does it or doesn\'t it operate with Giga?

--Dugley

Originally posted by DugleyDoright:
    I\'m confused. Does it or doesn\'t it operate with Giga?[/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, it is a standalone vsti.

Dudley:

You are correct in your thinking. EWQLSO does not use Giga at all. The package comes with it\'s own sample playback engine--in this case, a version of NI\'s Kontakt/Kompakt.

If you\'re using Giga for orchestral sounds and pick up a copy of EWQLSO Gold, you can stop running Giga because you won\'t need it. Granted, it\'s nice to have the other sonic options for mixing/matching/melding, but it wouldn\'t be absolutely required for you to have it running.
    O.

P.S. And what Sovereign said. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

deleted by me - offering all those links might have violated forum policy lol

Torvald,

An essential instrument for scoring is the Piano. A great sounding sampled piano can be quite inspiring to have in your sound arsenal.

My choice is the Bardstown Borsendorfer. Before making any decision listen to the demos on Kip\'s site and also listen to others.

Have an open mind and you\'ll make the right choice.

Here is the Demo page for www.Bardstownaudio.com

http://bardstownaudio.com/frames/mp3.html

Alan Russell

Go Back to forum