• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DDSW vs. Xsample winds?

Share/Bookmark

DDSW vs. Xsample winds?

I will eventually be looking at acquiring a good woodwind library. I\'ve narrowed it down to Dan Dean\'s Solo Winds or the Xsample Winds. Now, given that, here\'s what I need:

I need, of course, high quality sounding stuff. I have to have both non-vibrato and vibrato versions of the instruments..and if I can cross-fade between the two, that would be cool, but not necessary. Also, I\'m an articulations/effects freak. Each instrument DEFINITELY has to have trill and glissandi (especially the flute and oboe). Gotta have the different playing styles too.. staccato, etc.

Basically I\'m looking for a really good woodwinds library that\'s as flexible as SAM Horns. Did I mention SAM Horns rules? The cluster swells are awesome.. so are the glissandi, and other effects. Man oh man.

Anyway.. recommendations? Thanks!

Re: DDSW vs. Xsample winds?

I really wouldnt reccomend X-Sample for anything that isnt percussion because they have looped the sutained samples to death and so render it my eyes almost useless.

So what does one get w/ DDSW then? Do we at least get non-vibrato/vibrato versions of the samples?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    So what does one get w/ DDSW then? Do we at least get non-vibrato/vibrato versions of the samples?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">DDSW is an excellent library. I love the clarinets, and the NV flute is also one of my favorite GigaStudio instruments of all time. It\'s an excellent value, the players are all pro-grade with very happening tone, and it\'s a resource I\'ve used over and over again.

Sharmy

Thanks, I might just check out AO then. I\'d rather have a section of winds playing, rather than just a solo instrument.

Incidentally, where could I find AO winds? I didn\'t see them in Giga format on soundsonline.com

Even if you\'re looking for sections...a woodwind section in all but the largest orchestral plots would generally be combinations of unlike instruments rather than like.

I like both libraries, but as I\'m understanding the need here, I can\'t imagine that AO would be the net improvement to Sam\'s overall collection that DDSW would represent.

I like both. And I guess I\'m still a little confused as to the strongest \"need\" here. If it\'s phrases and single-instrument sections, then of course DDSW doesn\'t provide that. If those are secondary considerations, and the primary consideration is a high-quality, high-depth set of solo woodwinds that can be **combined** into mixed sections, then AO really doesn\'t come up to DDSW in that regard.

I\'d say the most important thing to me in a woodwind library is having the articulations like glissandi, trills, etc. It seems AO would be the best bet for this?

I dont have DDSWs as of yet, but I can speak on behalf of Xsamples clarinet. Very good sample!

Originally posted by Sharmy:
    It seems like Bruce and I are pulling you in different directions, but we are basically of the same mind set. DDSW is definitly stronger on the basic sounds, but AO offers you glissandi, runs and trills where DDSW does not. If as you say the runs, trills ect are most important to you, then DDSW is not an option.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, I was just trying to figure out what priority the phrases would be after making the initial recommendation. I go for the stronger basic sound set, myself, so I didn\'t want to make an unqualified push for DDSW on that basis, and then end up making a recommendation he\'d hate.

Go Back to forum