• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Waking Life

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Waking Life

I saw two films last night, one hopelessly Hollywood formula, but one very inspiring.

Check out Waking Life, by Richard Linklatter. Brilliant visuals, and a killer musical scene up top which everyone will appreciate.

The score, by Glover Gill, restores my faith. Not one sugary bloated cliche in the whole thing!!

Re: Waking Life

Restores your faith? In what? Hollywood scores or movies?

As for scores there\'s a number of incredibly talented hollywood composers out there. James Newton Howard\'s score for \"Signs\" is a masterpiece, so is John Williams\' score for Harry Potter 2 - Chamber of secrets. Heck, Williams outdid himself AGAIN. John Debney is probably my favorite composer ever, next to John Williams.
    Such huge imagination and incredible sense of orchestration and harmony.

Sorry if that\'s not what you meant, Bruce [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Your post came out sounding a little con a-list composers.

Thomas

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Restores your faith? In what? Hollywood scores or movies?

James Newton Howard\'s score for \"Signs\" is a masterpiece

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You have got to be kidding me. I laughed out loud at that cornball last cue. I don\'t usually engage in harsh critiques of specific scores, but Signs was not one of Howard\'s high points. But granted, he didn\'t have much in the way of inspiration. Cheaply-painted green men with poison shooting fingernails, and perhaps the sappiest ending in the history of films didn\'t exactly give him much to work with.

Man, that film was a cliche from beginning to end in every imaginable way, from the stolen Spielberg-isms in just about every other shot to the emotionally sappy score, to a plot that had more continuity breaks than a Scooby Do cartoon.

I\'m beginning to lose faith in more than films if this is your idea of impressive work. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thomas,

Just out of curiosity, have you seen Waking Life?

Trust me, you\'ll dig the score. It is worth checking out.

Signs was a terrible movie - I have to agree on that. One of the worst I\'ve seen since Armageddon. But I dont think the score hurt it. I don\'t think it helped it a lot either, and calling it a masterpiece is not something I\'d do Road to Perdition was another story. Great movie, great score.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Laughter cheers my morning! Pray, continue this dialog, for it gladdens the heart! (OK, so, I have been re-reading LOTR and the formal speech is sticking to my brain.) This reminds me of the discussions my art-critic-philosophy-major-IT Manager backpacking partner and I have. He claims I am easily amused. I claim there is a difference between entertainment and art, and yes, they overlap. (He loved Gosford Park: I thought it was a friggin’ snooz-fest). Makes for interesting camp-side discussions in the wild high-country.
    My favorite movie music of recent memory was Zimmer’s “Might of Rome” (last part: Hey, I love Wagner). Followed by things from LOTR and Final Fantasy:TSW. But there are many things I enjoy, even those things judged a cliché. I take things by themselves on their own merits. Some things are a work of art, and some are amusement rides: each enjoyed on their own merits and context.

Bruce, I will definitely check out Waking Life. Thanks for the recommendation.

Signs was INDEED a terrible movie. From the terrible dialogue to the laughable failure of an attempt to wrap it all up in a story about faith.

The music on the other hand was more than pleasing to my ears. Obvious influences from the golden age, weaved in with a masterful touch. I\'ve heard the mockups of all the cues and one thing is for sure. He knows his way around in the sequencer.

I think the most impressive technical aspect of the movie is the sound of the orchestral recording. It features a depth, musicality, warmth and high quality sonic definition I have never heard before.

I really advice you to pick up a copy of the score, if not for the music, then at least for the pure delight of listening to such a well-produced orchestral film score.

Thomas

Hahaha! You guyz! Your discussions is a wonderfull symphony in itself. What I dont grasp is that nobody ever critize Williams here. He is good at orchestrations and has a nice sense of theming. That being said the guy is NOT a part of the new musical century. He is stocked in romantic music and the word Virus is probably nothing but a bug to him.

Dont get me wrong. I am learning alot of his way of using the same chordworks over and over in his works - and learning alot about simplicity in theming.

Let me put it like this...

In my ears - he is a true genius. A mastermind in ripping others and gently putting a magic Williams spell over it. But he lacks power. I cannot keep on being enthusiastic about his sound. I think Williams need to improve. I would LOVE to hear how he would use breakbeats, synths, samples and all the utils we have now.

But maybe he is stucked in the same century as his music. Yes yes. I know. I have started a bondfire.

Yours - Chris

I loved Signs! For a popcorn summer flick, it is great, if you wanted a serious flick, why would you go and watch a movie about little green man in the first place?

And I aggre with Thomas, at least for me this was JNH\'s best work, I\'m going to see it again just to see and hear those opening credits again.

And by the way, what did you all think about Minority Report? It is my favourite Williams score when I listen to it on CD, but what bothered me in the movie was his action cues...it just didn\'t work..sometimes it felt like somebody slaped some unused cues from Star Wars II....... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex

Originally posted by Lewis:
    I would LOVE to hear how he would use breakbeats, synths, samples and all the utils we have now.
    Yours - Chris[/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You can here this in one cue from A.I. . And it is just funny in a horrible way.

Alex

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast