• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mozart, reverb or no reverb?

Share/Bookmark

Mozart, reverb or no reverb?

http://vrsound.com/GS/Mzrt_Harp_Flute_Concerto.mp3

Which reverb was used?

Sorry for the crude editing but it\'s very long .... but never has a dull moment.

Re: Mozart, reverb or no reverb?

Hey Franz,

Doesn\'t sound as if there is any...Am I wrong?

Hans

Hans,
    That would mean an orchestral demo without reverb...? is that possible?
    It would actually show what the samples can do without any digital smegma... no way.
    ALL the current orchestral librarys\' demos have loads of expensive reverb, so this would be unthinkable, no?

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I can agree with you only partly Franz.

I mean... this demo shows a small ensemble, so a rather dry sound is ok. It could use more ambience than yours, but still.

However, to create a dry demo like this with a bigger, symphonic size ensemble it would sound bad, no matter how good or expensive the samples are. The thing is, demos often have to show the samples in a useful, musical context. With your demo this is also the case, because of the small ensemble.

Maarten

Maarten,

How many \"musicians\" in your opinion?

BTW this is an unmodified GM file from the classical music archive. No tricks, no special tools, no velocity, no modwheel, no selecting layers or anything, out-of-the-box GS instruments in the nude and awsome writing.
    Production time: ~ 12 min. (that\'s how long the whole piece is)

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Well that\'s interesting.

Not sure if one could give an amount of musicians.

But, for example, take the SAM Horns demos, the VotA demos, or some of the DDBE demos. If we would bypass the reverb on those productions, they would sound like a general midi module. Only few samples would survive, because they contain some ambience of themselves. This last thing is also true for your samples. You didn\'t use reverb, but you can clearly here some room around the samples, which is good.

That\'s why *you* can leave external reverb out of your demos, but most other libraries cannot. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maarten

Nice demo, but it doesn\'t sound realistic enough. With e.g. the flute you can really hear that the notes where notes are notated into a MIDI sequenzer, and not as if it\'s played by a human. So the piece needs better overal shaping, better attacks of instruments etc..

Luigi,
    I was trying to make it a point to use a General Midi file. The sounds do have several technique layers (i.e flute has 4 layers but only the legato layer is used here) and now I can take a few hours and ad some humanity....
    But my first idea of the piece already sounds satisfactory even out of a Laptop in seat 14D Alaskan airlines...

Originally posted by franz:
    Maarten,

How many \"musicians\" in your opinion?

BTW this is an unmodified GM file from the classical music archive. No tricks, no special tools, no velocity, no modwheel, no selecting layers or anything, out-of-the-box GS instruments in the nude and awsome writing.
    Production time: ~ 12 min. (that\'s how long the whole piece is)

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Who cares if it\'s a GM file? It doesn\'t sound very good, so I am not surprised that this is just a simple GM file...

I\'m sorry for my misunderstanding, the topic was about the reverb and not the composition.

Go Back to forum