• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DDSB Loads?

DDSB Loads?

Anybody else have the problem of having some DDSB patches taking minutes to load?? I about gave the bird to my computer 11 times out of frustration. Ugh...

Re: DDSB Loads?

You might try to find out if your GIG drive is using DMA or not. Gigs on one of my systems actually loads faster and work better withOUT DMA on.

How dhoo eye dhoo thees? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I\'m pretty sure it\'s library related, since it happens here with some of the DDSB patches and especialy with a lot of Xsample patches.
    Maybe there is some sort of compression on these libraries...
    Also try defragmenting you GIG drive, this allways helps..

I believe that defragmenting your drives is NOT recommended.

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    I believe that defragmenting your drives is NOT recommended.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Huh?? Ur kidding right?

Defragmentation is not Formating [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Do some experimenting with Dan\'s LT and LT1 patches. They use 1 sample for 3 notes, instead of 1/1, resulting in a memory footprint of 1/3 of the original. I bet you won\'t hear any difference within an orchestral setting.
    Note that there are also LT2 patches for some instruments, but they reduce velocity layers, not notes per sample, which is less useful.

Peter / emano

DDBE patches take a long time to load too - so does SI Strings, GOS etc - it\'s in the nature of chromatically sampled, multi-velocity samples. More samples to load=longer loading time. Not so weird when you think about it Having said that, the loading time SHOULD be able to be faster, since it is not loading anywhere near to HD transfer max speed - probably a combination of Windows and the GS coding...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Simon has it nailed. The more samples/chromatic pitches represented, the longer the load time.

My feature suggestion has been to make loading a non-modal event, so that one can continue searching and dragging instruments in. That way, one could finish locating the needed instruments and at least get up to make a cup of coffee or have a little break. Presently, you have to sit and wait for each to load.

But in any case, no biggie compared to the time it took to load much lesser instruments from FLOPPIES--back in the day....

Go Back to forum