• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Drumkit From Hell: Superior...anyone order it?

Drumkit From Hell: Superior...anyone order it?

Well, I placed an order for this library yesterday. 35 freaking GB of non-loop based drum samples. Soundsonline has it on sale for $199, versus the list price of $250. I don\'t know about you, but that seems like a great price, considering that there are cymbals that cost that much. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So, did anyone else take the not so deep plunge?

Re: Drumkit From Hell: Superior...anyone order it?

From what I can tell, the VSti is something new. I do not think it is Kontakt. The VSTi has the ability to adjust the volume of mic leakage from each mic on the kit from full to no leakage. As fas as I know, Kontakt does not have the ability to do this. Toontrack doesn\'t want to release any info on the player until NAMM is over with. I\'m very excited either way. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m curious as to how many velocity layers per instrument. The best part about DFH superior is the bleeding effect and how it can be edited like a real studio. I\'m going to buy that or Artist drums. I will probably get DFH superior because I already bought DFH 1 and love it. What do you guys think is better? (or preferable)

Yeah, I\'m interested in Artist Drums, Scarbee SID and / or DFH Superior as well. Here\'s a list of the positive and negative points of each library (and it\'s just my opinion ok)

DFH Superior
    + Great flexibility. Lots of cymbals you can choose, multiple mics, etc
    - No repetition notes on softer dynamics
    - Demoes so far haven\'t been too impressive to me
    +/- It\'s huge

Scarbee SID
    + Best sampled drumlibrary!!! Repetition notes, ghost notes, drums played with hands, anything you can ask for! So you can do soft and loud fills!
    + Programmed great (at least it looks that way if you look at the features)
    - Only 1 kit
    - Most expensive

Artist Drums
    + Demoes sound great, especially that Simon Philips solo!
    + Midi examples
    - No repetition notes? (that\'s at least what I would think after listening to the Philips\' demo: those fast rolls on his snares in the middle and on the hihat in the end)
    ? In surround sound? (see Surrounded by Drums DVD)
    ? What kind of micsamples are used? Do we have ambiance/overhead mics?

I\'ve probably forgotten some things, but I think this pretty much sums it up for me...

The DFH Superior demos sound absolutely bang on to me. It looks like there will be a wait for an AU or RTAS version though [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Hey I found a good quality demo of artist drums:

Sounds pretty sweet [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I\'ve got DFH1. It\'s awesome. I posted a post about needing a groove maker or something similar. But I\'ve been taking the midi clips they supplied and cutting, piecing and overlaying them and they sound fantastic. I\'m able to get some very original progressive rock sounds.
    I\'m looking close at the superior special and most likely will purchase. It looks to be the best bang for the buck.
    The DFH2 uses the KOMPAKT but it looks as though they may have had someone build one for the superior. It looks like the special is on until it is release so I\'ll most likely jump on board.
    One feature which I like is they have GM mappings with it. I bought a couple Twiddley bits (Bruford and another) midi files which are GM mappings and I had to make my own maps for DFH.
    This looks to be a great deal. DHF 1 has already made a big impact on the way I record my drum tracks.

Did anyone acctually see/preview this at NAMM???

Central Point, Oregon

One thing to watch for is that DFH2 and Superior are currently only officially supported as a Cubase VST/SX plugin. They recently told me they are having some success in tests with other programs, but as for now they are Cubase compatible only.

I ordered Scarbee Imperial Drums and it is scheduled for delivery tommorrow. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I compared SID and DFH Superior, and thought that SID had more detailed, so I went with those.
    I have been impressed by what I\'ve seen and heard about DFH Superior, though (especially at the reduced price) and will probably get those as well (every time I think I couldn\'t possibly need more drum samples...).
    If you go to the Toontracks sight, you can download demo zip files that have separate multitracks of each drum (including overhead and ambient mics) and you can load these into your multitrack and play around with mixing them, applying effects, etc. That\'s what really sold me on these drums.

After it\'s all said and done, you have to admit that DFH Superior has a great price point. The only thing that has me concerned, if at all ,is that we have yet to see a screenshot of the VSTi interface. I trust their word that it works \"as effectively as Battery with close and ambient mics loaded\". We\'ll find out in late February. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum