• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway Issue

Share/Bookmark

Steinway Issue

I just installed the Steinway on a new PC, running Win7x64. At first things seemed fine, then I installed the 1.04 update, and now the 64bit standalone version refuses to open.

This doesn't worry me in itself, as the 64bit plugin seems to work, and I won't ever be using the standalone, as the machine is a slave - so it'll be plugins only, via Vienna Ensemble.

It only really concerns me that something may be wrong with my machine, which may be impacting on general performance without me knowing. Is there a common issue with the standalone, or am I going to have to investigate?
    David

Re: Steinway Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I just installed the Steinway on a new PC, running Win7x64. At first things seemed fine, then I installed the 1.04 update, and now the 64bit standalone version refuses to open...Is there a common issue with the standalone, or am I going to have to investigate?
    Well, Pingu, I checked on things here on my computer after reading your post. My machine is Win 7, 64 bit, and I have the Steinway with the 1.04 update, but I hadn't opened the standalones in ages since, like you, I never use them.

Both the 86 and 64 versions opened for me. As always when opening any soft synth standalone with my browser open, Asio4All was automatically triggered to open also. That's because for a long time now, Firefox, for some reason, usurps my regular Asio driver that my audio interface uses.

So - can't say I've ever heard of the Steinway standalones having issues, and mine are opening - under the conditions I've described.

hmmm - I wouldn't be concerned, since you use the piano as a plugin only. I know it can be worrisome when everything doesn't behave as expected, but I go with the simple attitude that if I can get my work done, and my computer isn't freaking out in some way - then it's good enough!

Randy

Thanks for checking it out Randy. I think you're right, I'm not going to panic - but that's easier said than done. I think I'm gradually developing OCD tendencies.

The PC might have to be rebuilt again anyway, as I currently can't get it to see the installers for my graphics card - so I might have better luck with the Steinway next time round.
    David

My laptop runs 64 bit Windows 7, and I have never had any problem running 1.04 standalone - in fact, I almost always use the standalone on the laptop, since it is the computer I use for live performances at gigs. But as Randy says, don't panic!
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Thanks for checking it out Randy. I think you're right, I'm not going to panic - but that's easier said than done. I think I'm gradually developing OCD tendencies.

The PC might have to be rebuilt again anyway, as I currently can't get it to see the installers for my graphics card - so I might have better luck with the Steinway next time round.
    What are OCD tendencies?

RR - having some language problems

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    What are OCD tendencies?
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I think it only genuinely applies to people who are a lot more extreme than me - those who must wash their hands 17 times, or must turn a light on and off 23 times before they can leave a room, etc. Nevertheless I am developing some genuine mental issues surrounding lack of orderliness, to the point where it can make me ill.
    David

Go Back to forum