• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Oboe demo -- jazz-esque context

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

VSL Oboe demo -- jazz-esque context

Hi Gang,

Glad everyone seems to be in a jazzier mood these days. I have been using (abusing?) various VSL instruments to do some cross genre cues from time to time in my work.

Hearing Alan\'s sweet-sounding soprano demo reminded me that I had done some work with the Oboe that people might find revealing of VSL\'s \"other side.\" I did some with the clarinet, too, and will try to dig those up later.

This particular cue was written for a show about homelessness in major cities, and accompanied a scene where a homeless woman was negotiating a rainy crowded street with her possessions.

Of course, in the final product, all of this is covered up in voiceover. Ah, the life of the scorewhore...

Incident on Main -- features VSL oboe NV Legato

Other instruments: Seyer bass, and I think Michiel\'s Steinway D (although I am not sure, actually, but it sounds a bit dark to be Kip\'s Bosie, the other likely suspect). The triangle tinking in there is VSL.

Re: VSL Oboe demo -- jazz-esque context

Sounds very nice Bruce although I felt the oboe sounded a little flat at times (I mean in terms of tuning.) Loved the bass and piano.

Really great moods Bruce! Gave me a bit of an early K. Jarrett vibe [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ..Rich

I thought the oboe is played a bit too pianistic. I could hear typical key licks. This is completely improvised, right?

------------
    Alex Cremers

You guys are nice. Thanks. Jarrett, eh? I should have hummed and grunted.

I agree the tuning is a little funky. I think Herb corrected that in Pro Edition. This was done with the original first edition performance Oboe.

Re: pianistic oboe, I was actually thinking of Paul McCandless when playing it. Those are pretty characteristic licks that an oboe/sax player might play. I am primarily a wind player, ya know...

Yes, definitely just a jam. As I recall it was one of those \"it\'s 11 pm, and I\'m already half asleep, and still have the bag lady cue to do before tomorrow\" moments. Bass first, then oboe, then piano. Obviously no click. I did a version with brushes on cymbals, too, but opted for this one. The extra activity seemed a little superfluous.

It\'s those 64th (or is it 32th?) bend up notes that are difficult to pull off with samples, even if the Legato Tool is giving a helping hand.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Oh, up front. I hear what you\'re saying. I was trying to do those little flippy Paul-isms (he\'s the oboe player in Oregon). Those probably would have come off better with the \"grace note\" legato instrument...it\'s got a faster \"flip\" from note to note, but unfortunately doesn\'t have the wide leaps. Oh, well, no going back on that one. It was a four-track, straight from the box, wham bam...no MIDI file to even get back to. The gig I do these things for is great, because when I have a show deadline, all I have to do is drop a CD on the front porch of one of my neighbors (who works at the production house). The downside is that it has led me to explore grand new vistas in procrastination. I have occasionally gotten that CD there about the time her alarm clock is likely going off.

Go Back to forum