• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria Player plugin w/ 16 instruments Vs. 16 instances of SFZ player

Share/Bookmark

Cool Aria Player plugin w/ 16 instruments Vs. 16 instances of SFZ player

Has anyone done any experimentation to see the difference in using one instance of the Aria Player plugin loaded with 16 instruments vs. sixteen instances of SFZ player plugin for the exact same Garritan instruments (either mono or stereo)? I have a lot of RAM, a fast processor, and the programs and samples on a Solid-State Disk and am still maxing out one core of my processor using the Aria Player plugin.

I understand that one plugin and indeed an entire channel strip of processing is forced to run through a single processor core in Logic, so it stands to reason that splitting to different players for every instrument would distribute the processing among the other cores, but what is the difference in total RAM and disk-streaming demands?

Re: Aria Player plugin w/ 16 instruments Vs. 16 instances of SFZ player

Hello, "Aiforceguitar" - It's a very interesting thread you've started. Frankly, you bring up "advanced user" issues that I've never dealt with, and haven't thought about very much. SO, I don't have any real answers for you. I'll still comment, and hopefully someone with more specific info will see your thread and reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Airforceguitar View Post
    Has anyone done any experimentation to see the difference in using one instance of the Aria Player plugin loaded with 16 instruments vs. sixteen instances of SFZ player plugin for the exact same Garritan instruments (either mono or stereo)?
    I've always loaded multiple instruments in ARIA, mainly because it just seems too clumsy to have a slew of ARIA instances with only one instrument in them. But I also always use all 16 audio outs for each instance so I have one ARIA, one MIDI track per slot, and a total of 16 audio tracks.

I have a lot of RAM, a fast processor, and the programs and samples on a Solid-State Disk and am still maxing out one core of my processor using the Aria Player plugin.
    I have a decent machine with 8 GB Ram, 6 Cores, 64 bit, Windows 7. I'll reach my limit sometimes, but generally don't have problems loading and running projects as I need. I use Sonar, and use between 1 and 4 instances of ARIA fully loaded - I don't get maxed out. - So - hmm.

I understand that one plugin and indeed an entire channel strip of processing is forced to run through a single processor core in Logic, so it stands to reason that splitting to different players for every instrument would distribute the processing among the other cores, but what is the difference in total RAM and disk-streaming demands?
    You're right, there is a logic to distributing the load across your cores by using separate ARIA instances. But that never really occurred to me! So I can't tell you what the difference in total RAM etc is.

There probably isn't any new info for you on this page, but still, here's advice from Logic for balancing your core loads. One thing from reading this page - maybe you could do some juggling so the 16 different audio outs from ARIA are handled by different cores:

Logic Pro: Tips for balancing multi-core performance

Randy

Wink Re: Aria Player plugin w/ 16 instruments Vs. 16 instances of SFZ player

Great advice. DavidV from ariaengine.com replied;

"Instrument for instrument the cpu usage between ARIA Player and sforzando is exactly the same. There is a slight overhead in running lots of instances for one instrument vs multiple instruments in ARIA Player. Though this is offsetted by the possibility for your host to run multiple such instances in parallel. However if by maxed you mean that you get disk losses and not cpu overload, then nothing will be gained, and there should be no difference in either scenario"
    If this is true using only SFZ players for every instrument seems like a logical choice.

Re: Aria Player plugin w/ 16 instruments Vs. 16 instances of SFZ player

...If this is true using only SFZ players for every instrument seems like a logical choice.
    Well, since David is saying there's hardly any difference between the two scenarios, why clutter up a project with all those instances of ARIA? I would have to have up to 50 separate units, with that many separate GUIs to look at and work with, as opposed to just 3 or 4 instances loaded with multiple instruments. I can have that handful of ARIAs all open so I can easily work on all the instruments - but I sure couldn't display 50 ARIAs on my screens!-- By the way, it sounded like you're saying "using only SFZ players"--as if that excludes ARIA. That's what ARIA is - it's an SFZ Player like Sforzando, only it's multi-timbral, able to hold 16 instruments and with 16 separate stereo audio outs.--

Randy

Go Back to forum