• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Miroslav Vitous Samples

Share/Bookmark

Miroslav Vitous Samples

Hello,

I know there are alot of great orchestral sample libs available today, but I was curious if anyone has the Miroslav Vitous sounds.

In browsing older posts (some on other forums), it seems the MV collection was regarded for its legato strings.

Just curious what everyones general thoughts are, and if anyone has any demos of this library.

Thanks

Re: Miroslav Vitous Samples

You\'re better off buying QLSO Gold

Ed

Vitous\' time is over. It wasn\'t even super in its high days. For the price one had to pay for this library, the quality was just \"good\". The strings were extremely expensive but they dissapointed me big time. Because of that I\'ve always used Roland strings. However, the woodwinds are still very usable. That oboe is still my favorite. The alternatives offered today like Gold and Opus are much, much more attractive.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I\'d agree with everything here, except that at the time it came out (and for quite a long time afterwards), Miroslav\'s library was the only game in town even remotely approaching an \"organic\" musicality. There are still some emotional places that Miroslav\'s library went which no one has duplicated to date. And he really never meant to make a product from it in the first place...it was a personal project library with no real intention of becoming productized. There was quite a lot he didn\'t record, simply because it wasn\'t something he intended to use. You\'ve got to give Miroslav his props. The methods he used still have a lot of influence on library design.

>>That oboe is still my favorite.

Yes, that sweet oboe sound...

Three words for the Vitous library...dated and wicked overpriced. Yeah, yeah, that\'s four but I don\'t count the \"and\".
    -Hudson

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Miroslav\'s library was the only game in town even remotely approaching an \"organic\" musicality. There are still some emotional places that Miroslav\'s library went which no one has duplicated to date.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Right on. Make no mistake, if you require true expressive passion in your samples, Miroslav has set a standard yet to be equaled to this day. Other library producers seem to forget that individual espressivo samples must be beautiful to listen to in themselves, that they are micro-performances of emotional syntax that must be able to carry a melodic phrase on their own.

Miroslav would be wise to reduce his price at this point, because there still is a place for his library. I have most of the current large libraries, but I am still really glad I have Miroslav, some of those samples are truly classic performances that will never age.

I agree with you totally gungir. Although I don\'t own them, I heard the Miroslav Cello in an ESX demo. That is one very nice sounding cello.

The staccato woodwinds are extremely nice. I like the legato strings, but sometimes they\'re too expressive, and most of the samples only have one velocity. I haven\'t had much trouble with only one velocity per program, though. The solo cello and violin programs are EXELENT, also.

If I were you, I would get one of the newer libraries, without hesitation (VSL). The price of a new Miroslav set is rediculous, considering there\'s stuff out there that\'s much better.

The flute is great too. Very expressive. It\'s a good idea to program the different articulations for key switching. In fact, Vitous would make a very good laptop library if the price was adjusted.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Go Back to forum