• Register
  • Help

Topic: Our wishes

Our wishes

Here are our wishes.

The piece you hear figures on the latest Garritan Xmas cd, next to many other jewels. It's called: "Het Nieuwgheboren Kind" (The Newly Born Child).

It was collected in the North of France (formerly a part of Flanders until Louis XIV conquered it in the 17th century*. The song originates from that period. The language is old Flemish (alas not sung here). I arranged it for SATB choir and orchestra in a very classical way.

* It may be called a miracle, but after more than 300 years of French domination, some people still speak (old) Flemish over there. It's a kind of funny, because their dialect has never developed whereas ours has changed al lot since then...

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to all of you!

Re: Our wishes

Max! I never heard this before but it sure sounds like a Christmas song and your arrangement of this is great (not to complicated, just right for the style of song.) Thanks for posting. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    ...The piece you hear figures on the latest Garritan Xmas cd, next to many other jewels. It's called: "Het Nieuwgheboren Kind" (The Newly Born Child)...
    Max, you are nothing short of masterful in your renderings - This is gorgeous, as is your other piece currently posted.

I love seeing the text you have at the top of the webpage, "Music is the language of the world."

So - this is the piece you produced and submitted after the deadline, right? But, by coincidence, Jos Wylin also had a version of the song produced. Interesting that something not very well known to us here in The States should come up twice this year - And we're all the better for having heard it, now in two versions. It's very lovely.

EDIT: Well! Since writing this post, I was informed by email that you, Max, and Jos are one and the same! Somehow, I'd missed that news item before this! Ha! Well - Jos/Max - we're very fortunate to have you blessing our Forum with your always top-notch productions!

Wonderful music, Max/JOS - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful cheerful Christmas piece, loved it! I have been on Christmas music listening spree since last night

Hi Randy,

Yes, I have a 'split' personality. The Max you know, doesn't actually exist. He was invented during my college studies. When I wrote poetry, I had to have a pseudonym and since I dwelled a lot in Hamburg and environment at that time, the choice was obvious. Now I feel a little naked...

Glad you liked the piece. I have a huge collection of archive Xmas pieces from ancient Flanders (some arranged, others waiting).

Max (?)

Canada,winter Mexico

Dear Max,
    Lovely song and arrangement, thanks for sharing and Merry Xmas to you!

Great Christmas music, really loved it!

Have a wonderful Christmas time you and your beloved family.

You're certainly a busy man, Max -- and a highly productive

Lovely arrangement of this... and gorgeous rendering; certainly
    amongst the best technical work I've heard here.

All best,

David Sosnowski

Go Back to forum