• Register
  • Help

Topic: OverTheClouds.mp3 (New Demo)

Share/Bookmark

OverTheClouds.mp3 (New Demo)

Constructive comments & suggestions regarding the composition, mix, structure are most appreciated:

http://www./mymusic/OverTheClouds.mp3

Thanks!

Re: OverTheClouds.mp3 (New Demo)

Frederick,

I like it. I can see where you\'re going with it.

There is one issue I have. The strings, especially the violins, seem to \"duck\" with each note change. It sounds like they have a very slow attack. With the kind of mood you\'re trying to set a more legato sound might be better. You can achieve that with the same samples by overlapping slightly the beginnings of the notes. So if a note starts on the downbeat, instead make it start on, say, the \'and\' of the last beat of the previous measure. This way it\'s got a half beat to come in and blend with the previous note, creating a legato feel.

That\'s really the only issue I have with it. Please remember that 1) I am one person; 2) This is an opinion; 3) Shampoo should not be eaten. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    O.

Originally posted by O Boy:You can achieve that with the same samples by overlapping slightly the beginnings of the notes. So if a note starts on the downbeat, instead make it start on, say, the \'and\' of the last beat of the previous measure. This way it\'s got a half beat to come in and blend with the previous note, creating a legato feel.[/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks O! (any kin to Q? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

This hasn\'t gone to mastering yet so out of curiosity I wanted to see what I could do without a lot a verb on it - seems like the shortcomings in the sample releases stand out, so I agree that the trick is to clean up the midi so it sounds good without verb.

Appreciate the comments!

Appreciate that Sharmy. Who would of known that leaving off the verb would show so much of what I need to focus upon regarding my midi programming chops?

Thanks for your helpful comments!

Very Good!!,
    Composition and Mix too (in my opinion).
    D.M

Very nice composition. I am wanting less \'seams\' heard from the strings. IMHO, this is what is the tell tale in my own midi programming - the start and stops of the string parts. I like the trem\'s fade in\'s. I am hoping that giga pulse (and or MIR) resolves and blurs these seams. I agree with Craig, CC#11 will be your friend here.

Again, all fixable stuff. The hard part (writing) you have done very well.

Rob

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    Very nice composition. I am wanting less \'seams\' heard from the strings. IMHO, this is what is the tell tale in my own midi programming - the start and stops of the string parts. I like the trem\'s fade in\'s. I am hoping that giga pulse (and or MIR) resolves and blurs these seams. I agree with Craig, CC#11 will be your friend here.

Again, all fixable stuff. The hard part (writing) you have done very well.

Rob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks! CC#11 is something I\'ve needed to learn and I really appreciate the helpful suggestions here. Wonderful suggestions!

Go Back to forum