• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Mac audio editing software

Share/Bookmark

OT: Mac audio editing software

In the past I have heard people reference the feature in things like Soundforge and Cool Edit where you can analyse the noise at the beginning of a sound and then have the program remove that noise from the sound itself.

What I want to know is if there is such a program that does this for the Macintosh?

Thanks,

Re: OT: Mac audio editing software

Yep....Waves will do that on Pro Tools or whichever platform you use.

I also highly recommend Peak....it\'s quite an amazing program and fully VST compatible.

The full Pro Tools doesn\'t have noise reduction functions built in let alone PT Free. You have to buy an extra plug-in. Logic Audio does do basic hiss reduction/click removal but it\'s not that great although it\'s saved my bottom on a few occasions.

The Waves stuff is fantastic but expensive. A cheaper Mac alternative would be Arboretum Raygun.

http://www.arboretum.com/S20_products/S22_raygun/S222PRODINFO.html

Thye Waves plug-ins are available for download and are fully functional for 14 days in demo mode. You could maybe save up all you NR tasks for a while and then go mad for 14 days!

As \"RTAS\" and \"Audiosuite\" plugins, Waves, Arboretum and (I think) DINR, will work fine on ProTools free. Waves is definitely the best, better than DINR, and you can buy just the Resoration bundle.

Another popular alternative is TC\'s Spark, which I have no experience with, but comes in LE and XL versions.

Joel

Originally posted by midphase:
    Yep....Waves will do that on Pro Tools or whichever platform you use.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Waves? Waves what? Which plugin?

I also highly recommend Peak....it\'s quite an amazing program and fully VST compatible.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Really? Peak doesn\'t have this particular feature to my knowledge.

Waves Restoration.

Peak doesn\'t give you built in noise reduction but you can use it with VST plug-ins for an integrated editing environment.

Pro Tools also has NIDR (sp.?) noise reduction plug-in and a few other tools (I\'ll have to ask our sound editors).

TC Electronic also should have some stuff...check their site.

Originally posted by midphase:
    Waves Restoration.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh yes of course, I\'ll look into that. I imagine it will be very expensive though. Do you happen to know of any cheaper alternatives?

Peak doesn\'t give you built in noise reduction but you can use it with VST plug-ins for an integrated editing environment.

Pro Tools also has NIDR (sp.?) noise reduction plug-in and a few other tools (I\'ll have to ask our sound editors).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t suppose Pro Tools Free has this feature?

Anyway, thanks for you help Midphase.

Originally posted by Marsdy:

Thye Waves plug-ins are available for download and are fully functional for 14 days in demo mode. You could maybe save up all you NR tasks for a while and then go mad for 14 days!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmm I might just have to do that!

Thanks for all your help guys. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There used to be something called \'ionizer\', a premiere plug in that did this, sorry don\'t know if you can still get it, or even who made it...maybe someone else knows.
    Brett

Originally posted by Brett Rosenberg:
    There used to be something called \'ionizer\', a premiere plug in that did this, sorry don\'t know if you can still get it, or even who made it...maybe someone else knows.
    Brett
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Arboretum made the \"Ionizer.\" I have I it. It\'s basically a multiband spectrum analyser with sweepable bands for adjusting eq, compression, limiting and gate.

I haven\'t had much success with noise reduction because noise always seems to cover the majority of the audio spectrum. It seems another approach besides EQ is needed. Maybe that\'s how waves works?

Rick

Go Back to forum