• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: IDEA: Forum User's Mock Up Comparison.

Share/Bookmark

IDEA: Forum User\'s Mock Up Comparison.

I\'m not a commercial composer, but it would be SO COOL to see you composer guys do a mock up of the same tune using all of your tricks, edits, samples, etc, and then compare the results via mp3 files. Each of you would post a link to your mp3 file along with a detailed description of every sample, sound module, etc, used. I\'m sure the thread would spark some interesting discussion about technique, sample libraries, etc. To keep things from getting to bogged down, perhaps the mock up should be limited to the first 60 seconds or so. I don\'t have a composition to recommend but hopefully one of you guys can jump in and further develop this idea. It would be one of the most intresting threads to read on this forum!

Re: IDEA: Forum User\'s Mock Up Comparison.

Well this would be a great idea, also I don\'t think too much people would chime in if it comes down to tricks...

Suggestions for the piece can be taken from the demo suggestions for the QLSO. I think there are plenty of them.

Hansi

I think you have a great idea, and I would love to see a thing like this on this board.

Why not make the intro of \"Also Sprach Zarathustra\" from Strauss? It lasts a little more than one minute, and uses a full orchestra (only 2 pages and a half).

If not, we could do an excerpt from Stravinski\'s \"Rite of Spring\". (\"Adoration of the earth\" would be great!)

I have both scores here (and some others), and I could scan some pages to make it available for everyone. (I think that it is legal to scan just of few pages of a book for non-commercial purposes.)

So what do you think? Who\'s in?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Copying and distributing score excerpts without permission from the publisher would be a copyright violation, btw.

What a good idea! I would love to join in a digital orchestra shootout! It would also be nice to hear other composers\' original pieces as well.

Count me in!
    [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Metropolis by Dream Theater.

Copying and distributing score excerpts without permission from the publisher would be a copyright violation, btw.

--------------------
    Bruce Richardson
    Bruce Richardson Music

Did anybody just feel a splash of cold water?

How about choosing something that\'s clearly public domain?

Carl
    Garden Creek Music

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

....Did anybody just feel a splash of cold water?...

No, not my intention at all. There\'s just a difference in a piece of MUSIC being in the public domain and a published score being in the public domain. Even a public domain piece is published by someone (or no scores/sheet music would exist!) and those **publications** are protected.

Ok, here\'s the deal...

We all start with the same SMF file of a classical composition (or score). Those are public domain and available everywhere.

The deal is that we all have to start with the same file....and then apply our tricks to it to make it sound decent. Generally those files are pretty stiff and lifeless so it\'ll be a good challenge to everyone.

Now for the tough part......somebody pick something........I vote for the 1st movement of Dumbarton Oaks by Stravinsky or the first 50 bars of the Ouverture Midsummer Night\'s Dream by Mendelssohn!

Didn\'t we already do this with the ET theme?

Go Back to forum