• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is GS3 a 32 Bit Application only ? What about Windows 64 Bit ?

Share/Bookmark

Is GS3 a 32 Bit Application only ? What about Windows 64 Bit ?

As Microsoft releases a 64 Bit version of Windows in the near future, does anyone know if Tascam has taken this into account? Seeing that at the moment, GS3 is 32 Bit... Or is GS3 coded in 64 Bit but can operate in 32 Bit mode...

Is anyone able to ask this question at NAMM please?

Because if GS3 is not coded in 64Bit, then even if Windows 64Bit comes out, GS3 will perform as a 32Bit application...

Can someone clarify this please?

Regards, Max67.

Re: Is GS3 a 32 Bit Application only ? What about Windows 64 Bit ?

I\'m 99% certain that I read that GS3 is 32-bits only. (To which you reply in your best Jim Carrey voice \"So, you\'re telling me there\'s still a chance\".) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Windows being 64bit in a future version is really not goingto affect Giga for quite a while.

To run windows 64bit.....you have to have a 64bit processor. There are not that many out there now....and those that are are expensive. (The AMD is better than the intel right now for 64bit. The AMD also has MUCH better 32bit emulation).

Also....you have to be running a program re-written for the 64bit chip to take advantage over anything 64bit processing will do. Right now....32bit programs run slower on 64bit machines with 64bit chips.
    This will literally take years for software developers to recode everything for 64bit.

GS3 is 32bit....and there will really be little incentive to recode everything in 64bit for quite a while.

Unless you are running a 64bit processor....with a 64bit operating system....with programs specifically written for 64bit performance.....stay with 32bit hardware.

Microsoft 64 bit Longhorn is expected out sometime in 2006 at the earliest, and I wouldn\'t expect to musch to come out for 64 bit before then. That\'s a lifetime away in the computer world.

Memory addressing is the concern here probably more so than the effeciency of the processor. I\'m assuming of course that the 64bit processors emulating 32bit for apps would run them at least on par with 32bit processors of today. Assuming they are closely matched in that area, I\'m looking forward to being able to access mucho RAM on a single PC machine. Mac users are currently enjoying this capability (at least the pros in a position to afford it), but I\'m looking forward to a GS machine with 4GB or more usable ram. Now that the polyphony has been uncapped and one GS program can access 8 ports worth of patches, I would think this is even more important now.

I mean, what good are 128 patches if you can still only load half of that due to ram constraints? This is a good question, I\'d like to know if GS will accomodate for these things in the near future. These 64bit machines really aren\'t that far off right now, and I\'m guessing within the year we will see many people upgrading as prices fall and as the software gets released. (Not that any of this will influence my buying decision regarding GS3, I can\'t wait!!!) But it would be good to know all the same.

mike

2006? woah... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Kindly disregard my guessing, I haven\'t a clue of what I speak, lol. Still wondering about that ram thing tho... If we\'re stuck still with not even a true 2GB... Even if the effeciency of the application is far superior now, I wonder if it is enough to load more patches than I can currently, or if I\'m just gunna be looking at 4 extra empty ports.

A 64-bit version of Windows to support the Athlon-64 is scheduled for later this year. As mentioned above, the biggest reason for this from a sampling perspective is to be able to break the 4 Gb memory barrier.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Keep in mind that the GS engine is rumored to be dealing with buffers differently (adjustable to smaller sizes), so there may still be some improvement in loading capacity over 2.x. Also, they\'re looking for ways to maximize the amount of RAM the can access. I think they\'re very conscious of the desire to load more instruments on a single machine.

On the other hand, if you go nuts with GigaPulse and EQ, that will eat more RAM than the current NFX stuff. It may not be much compared to the sample-heads, but, paraphrasing Monty Python, every byte is sacred.

Originally posted by Brian W. Ralston:
    Right now....32bit programs run slower on 64bit machines with 64bit chips.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t think this is true anymore... There is a quite extensive test going on over at the Sonar forum. A test project has been created which is run to check processor usage on various platforms. The results so far clearly states that the new AMD 64-bit processors are the fastest even for 32-bit software right now.

Check out the test specifics and result diagram here
    /Mattias

Go Back to forum