In my original thoughts and first realization in Finale, I had terraced dynamics in mind (a Baroque/Renaissance technique), but in listening, I soon discovered it liked drive as several of you have mentioned. I have include hairpins now to increase the push back to the dynamic rise in the melodic line. I am doing a dreadful thing next. Here I offer my first stage in SONAR X2 Producer. I am a slow worker in this medium (unlike the rapid work I do in Finale). All I have done in this first step is randomized the entrance of each instrument by up to 30 ticks so they all are not exactly synced. I included a bit of mix compression. The reverb (and I know I did it wrong - need to fix that) is from the aria engine - large theater. I should do it through Sonar, but this is my first attempt. Now you can all get out your red pens and start pointing out things my feeble ears don't hear.
By the wayu, I changed the title. I only called it a Christmas Gift because it (the idea) was a gift I got on Christmas Eve when the piece fell together in Finale.
Here is the full Jazz Band (stage 1) of In a Latin Groove (the Christmas Gift).
all using JaBB and realized through Finale 2011.