• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Quartet nr. 3 - completed

Share/Bookmark

String Quartet nr. 3 - completed

Hi Friends,

before going into the dark universe of further study, new experimental projects, some personal things as well, I cannot say "see in due time" before presenting you the promised String Quartet 3.

All is Vienna Special edition Strings Vol 1/Vol 2. I already presented the first two parts, but here are the links again.

Part 1 : Allegro molto, Allegro, Allegro molto (3:47)
    Part 2 : Moderato (5:41) -attacca
    Part 3: Moderato con moto (4:20)
    Part 4: Largo (3:37) - attacca
    Part 5: Allegro molto (1:58)

Have fun. See you again and please make the next year a wonderful one for your family and friends. Notated with Overture and rendered with SONAR and Altiverb.

Raymond

Re: String Quartet nr. 3 - completed

Amazing.
    That is the best sound I heard from the V.
    Absolutely magnificent as you handle your players.
    Enjoyed very much, and congratulation for this great piece

Ted

Raymond,

First of all, thanks for posting all the movements in one spot. I love that when members do that so you can listen to the whole piece (quartet) from beginning to end. It makes much more sense to listen to it that way.

You're the man when it comes to writing string quartets. I think this 3rd one is my favorite of yours so far. My only negative comment would be that the last movement seemed too short to me, but that is probably because I was really getting into it. It somewhat reminded me of Chopin's concluding movement of his (I can't remember , I think it is his 2nd piano sonata, maybe 3rd). Where he ends it with a virtuosic speedy finale which is very short. So if he can do it, you can too!

Rendering is superb here Raymond. You have really mastered your samples and virtual stage on these quartets. You have another success here.( as long as the cellist doesn't hit you over the head with his instrument by the end of the last movement!)

What's next on your roster. I recall you are working on several projects at once. Always look forward to your offerings here!!!

Cass

The vienna special edition strings sound good. I have to seriously think about getting the library. Thanks for posting. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    The vienna special edition strings sound good. I have to seriously think about getting the library. Thanks for posting. Jay
    Jay, thank you for your comment, but as I said on another forum, I'll go for the full solo strings. More articulations, e.g. non-vib also. Before you spend your money on this Special Edition Strings Vol1/Vol Plus please read the list of articulations of the full solo's. It may surprise you. The first set I'll buy will be the one without mutes - to begin with.

Raymond

Jay, I forgot to mention that getting more articulations, humanizing, e.a. can only be when you also buy Vienna Instruments PRO. This is essential for good rendering.
    Last edited by Raymond62; 12-29-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: adding Vienna Instruments PRO

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Amazing.
    That is the best sound I heard from the V.
    Absolutely magnificent as you handle your players.
    Enjoyed very much, and congratulation for this great piece

Ted
    I am glad you enjoyed it, Ted. It was hard work and demanded keyswitch handling at almost every note or group of notes. Hundreds of them. The second stage was getting the various lines per instrument "speaking" when necessary. Here SONAR gets the credit. Altiverb did a great job too. It made the instruments come closer.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    Raymond,

First of all, thanks for posting all the movements in one spot. I love that when members do that so you can listen to the whole piece (quartet) from beginning to end. It makes much more sense to listen to it that way.

You're the man when it comes to writing string quartets. I think this 3rd one is my favorite of yours so far. My only negative comment would be that the last movement seemed too short to me, but that is probably because I was really getting into it. It somewhat reminded me of Chopin's concluding movement of his (I can't remember , I think it is his 2nd piano sonata, maybe 3rd). Where he ends it with a virtuosic speedy finale which is very short. So if he can do it, you can too!

Rendering is superb here Raymond. You have really mastered your samples and virtual stage on these quartets. You have another success here.( as long as the cellist doesn't hit you over the head with his instrument by the end of the last movement!)

What's next on your roster. I recall you are working on several projects at once. Always look forward to your offerings here!!!

Cass
    Yes Cass, the last movement kills the cellist. By the way it is Chopin's 2nd Sonata. That 5th part was the hardest to render. When I tell you that it has some 2200 notes in it........ Originally I had it a bit slower, but one way or another it didn't fit. It is long enough, though.

The most comes from Altiverb:

The first row were Violin 1 and Cello
    The second row were Violin 2 and Viola - the setting is quite the same but a bit further down the stage and narrower spread. As you will notice I altered the "big knob" for more reverb time and the size of the ambience.

Next on my roster is not composing as promised, but study. I noticed that I forgot a lot e.g. chord names, how it sounds, scales of the more "alien" keys...... etc. A bit (more than a bit) freshing up. Going into the Study of Counterpoint (Fux). At least until february I won't write anything. Maybe some sketches of a violinconcerto or serenade for strings, who knows......

See you around,

Raymond

Graet work you did Ray, must be proud of the accomplishment!

Enjoy your Holidays!!
    all the best
    F.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Graet work you did Ray, must be proud of the accomplishment!

Enjoy your Holidays!!
    all the best
    F.
    Thanks and same to you, my friend. These times are great, one doesn't have to travel to Italy - by the way: great picture of the cathedral of Milano - meeting other composers as Mozart did. Poor Mozart, no Lamborghini, no, just a horse and carriage, muddy roads, robbers and thieves at every corner.............

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

My dear friend, your post is nothing more than amazing, but we're not surprised. Raymond always delivers amazing realisations.

This quartet is probably the best you've written. Mature and thought through. All parts are one organic whole, evolving from tonal dissonant to perfect balanced consonant harmony. They are never artificial or far fetched. The third part is somewhat different. It contains more stringent and biting discussion between the instruments. The fourth part is rather elegiac and brings the necessary tranquility in the total performance, be it with some very sharp dissonance. I was really overwhelmed. It has a freshness and clarity that is hard to describe. That is not only because of the well constructed parts, but also by the brilliant rendering and editing. The fifth part is short, but powerful, some sort of abreaction and a tonal settling of the entire quartet. A brilliant find!

It must have been a titan's job to insert these hundreds of key switches to make the instruments sound so realistic. An exceptional result technically and musically. This quartet simply has to be played live!!!

Max

Go Back to forum