• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is there a standardized ratio of velocity to volume?

Share/Bookmark

Is there a standardized ratio of velocity to volume?

In other words, is there any general agreement afloat that a sample at say velocity 30 should equal a given decibal level or range?

(Working with those same pp layer piano samples...)

Re: Is there a standardized ratio of velocity to volume?

decibel, that is...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I think there may be a standard MIDI specification for volume/velocity, but in sampling it really doesn\'t apply. You just want to match the modeled instrument\'s behavior as closely as possible.

There was a similar discussion about the relationship between dynamic text (ppp-fff) and velocity. I shared the values that Sibelius uses out of the box for mapping the two.

But if dynamic text relates to velocity, then it can\'t really relate to dB can it? A forte low-C on a flute is nowhere compared to the same note on a French Horn or Trombone.

I think the closest you will come to is whether MIDI specs the relationship as linear, or if it has a sine, cosine or other \"gamma\" curve applied to it. I\'ve never come across that part of the MIDI spec.

Thanks. I\'ll go by the instrument.

(I\'m not sure I meant a midi spec so much as a general agreement among people who are creating samples as to what decibel levels to aim for at given velocity levels. My thought was that there might be a loose agreement so sample sets, out of the box, would be fairly predictable as to how they would sound if applied to a midi file.)

To be at the extreem end, there is no general conection between velocity and volume at all. It\'s just something that we sometimes make up to make it behave well. It\'s not uncommon with negative values(degreases with higher velo) One setting for each instrument according to authors preferences. Some good some worse. Quite often, instruments seem to be to responsive in the volume when a change in color is needed, I think.

(00.3 cnts)

Jon,

How is Sibelius distributing the dynamics? i.e what are the velocity values for:

ppp = 0-?
    pp = ?-?
    p = ?-?
    mp = ?-?
    mf = ?-?
    f = ?-?
    ff = ?-?
    fff = ?-127

Good to know to be able to create instrument versions for Sibelius...

Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://www.artvista.net

Thanks Jon!

Hans

Go Back to forum