• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Sonar

Share/Bookmark

OT: Sonar

First of all, I know that this is off-topic. I chose this forum because of the vast knowledge and experience of the people that make this forum the great forum that it is.
    My concern is why is it that Sonar receives such a bad rap among professionals regardless of the genre that they work in? Is it because most people that are using DAWs to make a living are using Macs instead of PCs or is it because programs like Logic had a cross-platform capability (I don\'t know if it did or not)? In all fairness, I have not explored the other alternatives such as Cubase or Logic. What is it that these programs offer that Sonar does not? I am presently using Sonar XL 2.0.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jack

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: Sonar

It certainly doesn\'t get a bad rap from me. I think SONAR is the finest audio/MIDI application on the market by leaps and bounds, and is an excellent match with GigaStudio.

It\'s just one of those holy war subjects, like Mac vs. PC.

The engineers at Cakewalk are some of the brightest people I\'ve ever met, and have consistently avoided jumping into the feature wars to just add things for adding things\' sake. As a result, their platform has grown steadily, and SONAR 2.0 is a pretty hard act to beat. Their list of improvements for their 2.1 update are very nice--and fix almost every aspect of the program that needs work.

So, here\'s one \"professional\" opinion that won\'t knock SONAR. I love it.

Thanks for the reply Bruce. Your thoughts on any of the subjects in this forum carry a lot of weight with me. I have been using Cakewalk since it was available on Windows 3.1. and I have always enjoyed working with it.
    I look forward to giving Sonar 2.1 a spin.
    Jack

I always wanted to know how Sonar deals with score related functions. Anyone has an opinion about that?

Thanks,
    Martin

It holds it\'s own with most other DAW\'s in the notation department. It is really intuitive and easy to use, but for orchestral stuff I still export MIDI files and use Finale. The depth of Finale or Sibelius (not sure if I spelled that right?) just can\'t be matched with DAW\'s IMHO.

I haven\'t even upgraded to 2.0 yet. Based on their list of features I really didn\'t think it was worth $80. Am I wrong and it\'s really awesome?

well, you can add crescendos and decresc. and word instructions (pp,p,mf,f, allegro con brio y aqua, etc). Howevere, there aren\'t any articulation markings available. So, unless you are doing a really basic lead sheet minus articulations, Cakewalk\'s notation program is very basic. Actually most of the time it\'s sufficient for me because I make mostly lead sheets (melody with chords).

One other semi-disappointing feature is it\'s chord symbols. Actually, it is no problem to add chord symbols (even with guitar tab) which is great but if you then need to transpose your whole piece to another key, the chord symbols won\'t transpose. Perhaps this is small potatos for most, but it has happened to me a few times and essentially I have to go in one by one to transpose the chord symbols.

And it\'s the real pooper when the client wants it back to the original key, then one by one back to changing the symbols.

Maybe I\'m just not seeing how to transpose the symbols. Perhaps it\'s there under my nose.

I am like timzydee, I have yet to see the great upgrade to Sonar 2.0 (except for the Track pane which is lovely). I\'m not crazy about Cake 9 but the things I want to see in Sonar haven\'t happened yet.

I use Finale, but not that often. For a pop arrangement or a piano score, I just stay in Cakewalk, but that is just the way that I do things, not necessarily because it is the best or easiest way. I love the wizard feature in Finale that builds templates for you based on the style of music or size of group (example: string quartet). Maybe, I will start using that more.
    By the way, thanks for all of your responses.
    Jack

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Marty:
    I\'m not crazy about Cake 9 but the things I want to see in Sonar haven\'t happened yet.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh, man, you\'re nuts to stay on ProAudio 9 compared to SONAR!!!!

Especially with GigaStudio. You can add automation envelopes in the track view for ANY parameter of Giga--it is priceless functionality.

The DXi synth engine/automatable FX/automation system/full looping support are all first rate, and the Track View/Buss Track structure means you literally never have to open the mixer view for any reason. Every automation and routing task can be handled completely from the timeline.

Personally, I cannot imagine using ProAudio. SONAR has surpassed it that much.

One annoying bug in Sonar v2.0XL is that sometimes, notes in Drum Edit just wont snap-to-grid!! Phuking irritating..

But its a awesome piece of software.. I dont understand why not more people use it..

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast