• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Beethoven String quartett op.130, Cavatina --> orchestrated

Share/Bookmark

Beethoven String quartett op.130, Cavatina --> orchestrated

After 3 I have set Beethoven's last 3 piano sonatas recently for orchestra, I tried to do the same yesterday with the Cavatina from op. 130:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth-op130-Cavatine-orch.mp3
    http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_op130_cavatine_orch.pdf

I don't know about you, but I think it just sounds wonderful...
    Beethoven said he could not think of this movement without shedding a tear.

see also: http://www.gerdprengel.de/orchestrations.html

Gerd

Re: Beethoven String quartett op.130, Cavatina --> orchestrated

Intersting work, but the rendering of the strings should ask for some editing, to avoid the flat "armonium-like" sound.

I suppose you had not the aim of creating a perfect performance, but even if editing expression is a bit boring, the result may then transfer a better idea and a clearer musical intention.

Good orchestration anyway! Happy New Year!

I liked it very much
    Adding my 2 cents worth; as I am following a solo, it sounds like you have run out of the range of the instrument, so you had it pick up the line at an unexpected point with an other instrument, leaving me scrambling to pick up the line.
    If you could screen this out, making sure that your switch of instruments are at a logical place, your work would be even more enjoyable.
    Thanks for posting it, and Happy New Year to you....

Ted

What an absolutely beautiful piece of music and your rendition of it is very nice indeed. What libraries did you use for this? Great post. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    What an absolutely beautiful piece of music and your rendition of it is very nice indeed. What libraries did you use for this? Great post. Jay
    Thank you, Jay! I didn't use any special Libraries, just the normal "Garritan instruments for finale" which I got about 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I liked it very much
    Adding my 2 cents worth; as I am following a solo, it sounds like you have run out of the range of the instrument, so you had it pick up the line at an unexpected point with an other instrument, leaving me scrambling to pick up the line.
    Ted
    Hi, Ted can you give me some examples? Actually what you probably mean I did on purpose! I didn't want to use any long "solos" but wanted to fragmentize the melodies to different instruements to create an impression of transcendence and fragility.

By now I made some corrections regarding articulation and expression...

Thank you!

Gerd

I hope you did not think I am nit-picking at your nice work. As I was listening again (and again), you have made very good changes since the first time I heard it, and these changes eliminated most what I was referring to, made the work more beautiful. To illustrate what I was meaning, at 5:53 you have the nice line going then switch to the violins at a very low volume. I would have let the melody line complete before switching.
    But, you are the arranger, and what counts is not my blabbering, but your feelings about the piece, and there is no "right" or "wrong", your decision is the law. It is such a lovely piece that I had to comment on it..
    Great job you have done

Ted

This is beautiful. You made me buy this Stringquartet (not yet done, but on my wishlist). I am always surprised how much "music" one can make from this "simple' library. Thank you for posting this.

Happy new year,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
    ...I tried to do the same yesterday with the Cavatina from op. 130...
    Yesterday--? You did this in one day, Gerd? Good heavens! It would take me weeks and weeks - and I doubt I could ever make it sound as sublime as what you've done. Remarkable. Beautiful.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Yesterday--? You did this in one day, Gerd? Good heavens! It would take me weeks and weeks - and I doubt I could ever make it sound as sublime as what you've done. Remarkable. Beautiful.

Randy
    Thank you, Randy, yes, indeed I did this in about 6 hours on Saturday, but on the following day I needed to do some corrections regarding expression, articulation and balance of the instrument's volume. However it was helpful to me that I could import a midifile of the original string quartett version, so I had already the notes in the strings. These then I just had to move or copy to the woodwinds and French Horn as I felt it (which was the most beautiful part of this process).
    In the last 2 months I had much opportunity to practice this as I was orchestrating Beethoven's piano sonatas op. 109 - 111 which was more difficult than orchestrating a string quartett :-)

Gerd

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast