• Register
  • Help

Topic: My GigaStudio96 takes more than an hour to load!!!

Share/Bookmark

My GigaStudio96 takes more than an hour to load!!!

.. Would you believe that??

9 times out of 10 it takes more than an hour. Some times it just works!.. I have no default performances loaded. No new samples that it needs to search for or update. No nothing. However, in all this time the harddrive is working a lot. Like it\'s searching for something. Of course I don\'t have the patience to wait that long every time, so normally I hit CTRL, ALT, DEL to stop the process. The funny part is, that it doesn\'t even help to reinstall. I\'m running K6-2 500Mhz with 128MB RAM, and my computer is generally in pretty good shape.

I, of course, wrote Nemesys Techsupport, but I must admit that I don\'t expect to get an answer(they never replied last time I wrote)..

I guess this adds a whole new dimension to the discussion about latency time, wouldn\'t you say?.. [if you\'re lucky you\'ll get sound within an hour after hitting the program icon]

Hope someone out there can help me..

Thomas Regin

Coming Soon

Re: My GigaStudio96 takes more than an hour to load!!!

Yeah well.. This actually happened before I upgraded. However, I need the update, since I\'ve got a Wami Rack 24 and the noise is unbearable in the NON-upgrated version.

I simply don\'t know what\'s going on. If there had been a way to turn off the \"quicksound\" database, it would make my life much easier.

Thanks,

Thomas.

See the post from Bill as follows:

\"It’s important to realize that when GSt starts for the first time, it catalogs every gig and wav file on all hard drives. This takes a LONG time. It may appear that your system has hung, and Task Manager may report that GSt is not responding, but just let it be. Let it sit for a couple of hours if necessary.\"

It sounds to me that the GigaStudio\'s never be successul in initalization at the first time...Just let\'s it be! try not bother it like don\'t use \"CTRL-ALT-DEL\", otherwise everytimes giga would re-scans the harddrives. And I guess that why you see it is happen now.

One thing I would try is to defrag the harddrive then re-launch the Giga.
    Good lucks,

Well.. You know, I occassionally let it hang. And it opens!.. After an hour or so. However, this happens EVERY time. No matter how many times it has been opened successfully..

I just recently defragted the drive, so I don\'t think that is it!..

Thanks for helping though, I really appreciate it!..

Thomas.

Thomas,
    It is un-usual, Which\'s GigaStudio version? 2.01.25?
    I\'ve noted that there might be a bug in this version if your system has less than 256~320MB-DRAM. I just simply could re-produce it when I have less than 320MB, I don\'t know if someone has same problem? anyone?
    If it is a case you might go back to 2.01.19, I guess.
    Have funs,

I think a big improvement in quicksound would be if you could tell which directories to search (why search the wondows folder for example) and if you could say what objects to look for. I only use it to search gig files, but the list gets anoyingly long with all the wav-files and performances.

Joris,

I agree with you. And, I asked Nemesys a while back to add this as a feature. They didn\'t give me an answer as to weather or not it would happen. I don\'t think GS needs to scan the entire system for files. If we are left to manage our sounds locations, that\'s fine with me. One less thing in GS to break.

Ron

Well I am running just Gigasampler64. When I had only a few sounds \'registered\', it took longer for the screen to refresh and draw than load the sampler. Now I have over 1000 instruments, and it too searches for the sounds - EVery time.. Now I am not looking at an hour, but it does take now several several seconds to load... vs. a click!

So Thomas, will I have the same problem once I/ if I upgrade to the GSt?

[This message has been edited by gknudson (edited 10-21-2000).]

My problem is solved!!!

Nemesys sent me a program to manipulate the registration keys in the system registry!.. It makes it possible to select the exact files-types you want GigaStudio to scan for! Very handy! I really don\'t know why they haven\'t made it available for everybody! Anyways. When in GigaStudio after running the small program I updated the database and bingo. Even with my more than 1000 samples I\'m down to 10 seconds loading time at max!!

Thanks to all who replied to this thread!!..

Thomas Regin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thomas Regin:
    [B]My problem is solved!!!

Nemesys sent me a program to manipulate the registration keys in the system registry!..

would you please consider sharing the program that Nemesys sent you??

Go Back to forum