• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using JABB in DAW software: A MIDI 101 Tutorial

Share/Bookmark

Using JABB in DAW software: A MIDI 101 Tutorial

At the MM Garritan Forum, a new Garritan user expressed frustration over how to make his JABB instruments come alive. He requested a tutorial, so I put one together in response.

The screenshots, MP3s, and step-by-step instructions could be helpful to JABB users here at NS also, so here's the link to that tutorial:

Using JABB in DAW software: A MIDI 101 Tutorial

Randy

Re: Using JABB in DAW software: A MIDI 101 Tutorial

I saw and read most of that back on the MM site. Excellent tutorial! I printed it out as a reference for the next time I'm working in Sonar. These are really handy and the pics help a lot!

Thanks Doctor Randy!

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    I saw and read most of that back on the MM site. Excellent tutorial! I printed it out as a reference for the next time I'm working in Sonar. These are really handy and the pics help a lot!

Thanks Doctor Randy!

Gary A.
    Well, good, Gary - Thanks for letting me know that seems helpful.

Randy

Always great to get a fresh look at things. Thanks Randy. I hope others see this and give it a read.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Always great to get a fresh look at things. Thanks Randy. I hope others see this and give it a read.
    Thanks, Rich - As the title says, it really is a "101" kind of tutorial, but it can help newbies to see what the straight forward steps are for using a Library like JABB in DAW software.

"dcuny" at the other Forum, who asked for this particular tute, made an assumption that wasn't true as the first part of his request. He thought that since he was talking about entering notes with a cursor, that they would, by the very nature of their input, have to be quantized. That's why in the first step of this tute, I explain that all one has to do is turn the "Snap to Grid" off to avoid that quantization. Every recording program has some kind of Grid which can be turned off or on.

But that's why in the first step and then the first screenshot, we see all the velocities at the same level. If entering notes with a cursor, their velocities will all be the same, at whatever value the program uses for default.

None of that would have actually occurred to me for a tute like that, but I was following dcuny's specific requests, so designed the tute by following his questions - they were a good starting point.

I'm offering that info because that starting point of having the Grid on or not does seem like it can be a stumbling block, but I wouldn't have thought of it really, since the Grid is something I've avoided with anathema for so long!

The rest of it is just the basics - Recording or drawing in layers of MIDI data to make a software instrument actually be performed instead of just triggered.

Randy

Go Back to forum