• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: lyle mays

Share/Bookmark

lyle mays

are there any opinions from anyone regarding the sampled piano library that come closest to the sound that LM gets in his recordings?

Thanks,
    Runamuck

Re: lyle mays

When I saw him on the We Live Here tour, he was playing a Steinway I think. Of course the major key to his sound is not his piano, it\'s the way he voices his chords. He uses close micing I think and usually shedloads of expensive reverb. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I had the chance to enjoy Mays with Pat Metheny in a live ..I\'m pretty sure he was playing on a Steinway but I agree with the fact that chord voicing affects the sound greatly.

Best,
    Alberto

Hi Everybody,

Right, he does play a Steinway. But Im interested
    in peoples\' opinions regarding what sample library comes closest to that sound. It may or may not be a Steinway sample. Right - its definately close miked without much ambience, the lows are round, not growley, the high are clean and pure but not cutting like, say, a rock Yamaha sound.

I would like to purchase a piano library that most closely emulates these qualities. I do not have the money to buy them all just to experiment. Also, I do not trust MP3s or very many demos over the net.

So, can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks again,
    R.

I\'m sorry, I don\'t know what piano library would be the most applicable. I have difficulty getting past wondering how his mind works and the music that comes from within him. Those beautiful chord voicings and harmony - and excellent phrasing and timing. If he played an out of tune kimball, I might be trying to determine what library could emulate that sound.
    Jack

Runamuck, you should try Post Grandioso Steinway D, it\'s a wonderful instrument.
    You can visit my site to have more infos about it.

Best luck,
    Alberto

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If I get a chance today, I\'ll drop a PM/LM tune on the computer and do an a/b.

Something classic like Phase Dance or San Lorenzo OK? Hell, why am I asking, this is a free consult, after all...

Back later.

Hi Bruce and all,

Thanks for your help and advice. And Bruce, although I certainly appreciate your offer, I really didnt expect that kind of favor. If for some reason it serves your needs too, well great. But dont do it just for me.

I don\'t think any sampled piano currently available sounds like what you are looking for.

ESPECIALLY EITHER GRANDIOSO!
    It is far to distant and lacking both presence and stereo spread.

It is more about a micing asthetic than it is about the brand of piano.
    Some of their records they used a bosen.
    Currently its a steinway
    On lyles new solo record its a Yamaha.

The piano sound on the new solo record is awesome. I would absolutely pay to have a sampled grand in this vein.
    I have downloaded every demo off of every single site of every available piano (my new dsl line has had a work out!!)
    Nothing comes close.

A nice Yamaha or a brighter steinway-
    Miced fairly close-
    with a nice stereo spread-

Would get my credit card payment in a hurry!

You may want to look at the responses to my post about wanting a \"Steinway from a Player\'s Perspective.\"

Go Back to forum