• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: INCREDIBLE Garritan retrospective site!

Share/Bookmark

INCREDIBLE Garritan retrospective site!

Everyone has to see this - It's truly incredible. TOM HOPKINS, the designer/programmer for GOS (Garritan Orchestral Strings), GPO, JABB and COMB has put together a retrospective site on "The First Garritan Decade." It's not only chock full of info, but has great audio demos of the Libraries, photos - Trust me, you just have to go there - NOW!

"Tom Hopkins Retrospective - Garritan Corporation."

And here's Tom's post about all this at the new MakeMusic Garritan Forum:

TOM HOPKINS SPEAKS

Randy

Re: INCREDIBLE Garritan retrospective site!

Nice! Finally got to hear a demo of those Garritan Orchestral Strings. They sound pretty nice. Dang, Randy!!! I really loved listening to that OLD THEME of Garritan! Right up my alley of music!

Hi Randy ... this is the 2nd time I tried to comment. 1st time after writing my comments, I was blown away and lost NS for a few hours (and my comments! ouch!)

Anyway, thanks for the links!! I spent a bunch 'o time over there and read Tom's 10 year retrospective ... just tremendous reading.

Tom is a hero/guru to all us NS "Vets". Besides creating all those high quality libraries, he offered so many tech write-ups, tutorials, and audio demos that are still relevant today. I bought and learned my 1st Garritan library (JaBB) because I stumbled onto a demo that Tom had created of a swinging Gary Lindsay big band arrangement, which I was delighted to see (and hear again!) is still available to listen to over in the last part of Tom's Garritan retrospective ("Demos").

Good companies are built on the backs of good men. Forum members and friends who don't remember Tom should know that he was as responsible for the success of Garritan as much as anyone else ever associated with that company.

Great to hear from him again and that he is enjoying and having a great (and musical) retirement!

Frank

Nice way to step into 2014!
    Thank you!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks for all the extremely kind comments and positive reaction to the new site. I'm usually comfortable just being the guy behind the curtain. Hope you enjoy my new site as much as I enjoyed putting it together. Happy New Year 2014 to everyone!

Tom

P.S. The scary part is that I can very clearly remember sitting up 'til midnight in my pajamas waiting for New Years 1956 to chime in. It was either 1956 or 1544 - one of the two.

Excellent website, Tom! I think I spent an hour looking at it at work today - it was slow day. BTW, the photos I'm in don't match up with the numbers or they got scrambled up.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Excellent website, Tom! I think I spent an hour looking at it at work today - it was slow day. BTW, the photos I'm in don't match up with the numbers or they got scrambled up.

Jim
    Hey Jim, glad you got to do something productive at work! The photos in that group are numbered correctly. That group should appear as two rows of 3 photos each. You are in photo number 5 (although I mention you when talking about the 2nd photo - Jeff is in that one.) As stated in the text, the photos in that group are identified moving clockwise starting at the upper left. So, that puts you in the lower middle picture. Or it does on all the computers I have checked! If it still doesn't work for you, please send me a screenshot of what you are seeing. Thanks.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: INCREDIBLE Garritan retrospective site!

Hey Tom,
    nice to hear from you again! Very nice log of a glorious era, and some nice achievements for sure.

I loved every line and every picture. Keep in touch!

all the best for the new born year!
    Fabio

Great historical coverage, Tom. I often reminisce about the old days and I became a member in 2004 when things were moving along at a faster clip. Great, though, to have an epic recollection of what transpired and when. It gives real meaning to what we have today and what inspiration holds for tomorrow.

Bookmarked this one for future reference. Hope you are feeling well and making great music which we all treasured so much.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Tom, thanks for sharing this! I joined the community back in January of 2004, and it's really fun to see this kind of "behind the scenes" stuff from the early years-

Jim

Go Back to forum