• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virtual Orchestra - Sinfonia - used in Les Miserables productions

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

Virtual Orchestra - Sinfonia - used in Les Miserables productions

Just heard on the radio that the US and London productions of Les Miserables might be under threat of strike action by musicians .. due to the introduction of a \"virtual orchestra\" by the name of Sinfonia.

Anyone heard of this ?

Full story from New York Times is here.
    http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20040109-044717-5308r.htm

Re: Virtual Orchestra - Sinfonia - used in Les Miserables productions

I know there is an orchestral soundfont called \"sinfonia.\"

Maybe they are using this combined with some SW to get the \"tap tempo\" thing happening?

Ben H

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

No, it\'s a performance system for live theater. It got some press a few months back, basically the same thing--the union coming unglued.

I\'ve got no patience with the unions, anyway. Equity has been getting ridiculous. Their latest thing: Sound designers/composers can\'t use video for scoring scenes any more. As if anyone would be even slightly inclined to put something like that on the internet and eat the cost of streaming it...much less have the thought even enter their head. These guys invent problems just so they can be pricks about inventing a rule to solve the problem they invented.

Half the time, the unions make it so difficult to just get the simplest things done, little wonder that people are looking for any way to cut them out of the picture. A friend of mine was just down from New York installing a musical in a union house here in town. She totally nailed it: They gave me 20 gorillas. What I really needed was 5 monkeys.

I\'ve got some mixed feelings about not using live musicians since my bread and butter is based on my using samples but...

I\'d be PIIIISSED if I went to see Miss Saigon and there was just a video of the helicopter.

These systems were originally designed and still used, almost exclusively, to augment, not replace, a live orchestra - I\'ve heard them sans orchestra in soundchecks and believe me, they are\'t a replacement - they sound like a ROMpler on their own...but they do a great job of \"sweetening\" a live orchestra in a theatrical setting.

Originally posted by cmrick:
    I\'d be PIIIISSED if I went to see Miss Saigon and there was just a video of the helicopter.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I would too...but that\'s the difference between a $60 production and a $100 production...and (for some reason) there\'s a market for the $60 shows. So you can\'t blame the producer of the $60 show for putting on a show that people are willing to pay to see...not my cup of tea though.

Go Back to forum