• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pop Strings?

Share/Bookmark

Pop Strings?

I\'m a producer/engineer here in Nashville and was wondering if I could get some advice on a good pop string library. I don\'t do orchestrations and such....I just want some great strings to lay down over pop, rock kind of productions. Nice, big and lush....

I\'m a giga user btw. Thanks for any help.

Re: Pop Strings?

If youn are a giga user you are on the way of VSL http://www.vsl.co.at/index_horizon.html . I´m sure it can do what you want!!!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Kevin Perry:
    I\'m a producer/engineer here in Nashville and was wondering if I could get some advice on a good pop string library. I don\'t do orchestrations and such....I just want some great strings to lay down over pop, rock kind of productions. Nice, big and lush....

I\'m a giga user btw. Thanks for any help.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yo Yo, Kevin,

How\'s tricks?

I\'d agree with the VSL recommendation, if you want to really get detailed. There are some down and dirty ensembles, but the \"legato\" and portamento articulations are probably going to be your best friends. Knock out the basics in what\'s referred to as \"the cube,\" and use the Performanct Tool for a few hero tracks with lots of note-to-note mojo, and people will be challenged to discern a VSL track from a session.

The key to the Performance instruments, the legatos, for instance, is that there\'s a tool which sits in the MIDI stream, intercepting your MIDI input as it goes by. It carves out a little buffer for analysis, detects what intervals you\'re playing, and as you are playing the part, it is constantly switching the samples so that the \"sampled\" transitions between notes are the same intervals that you are playing. This adds very little latency, believe it or not, so little that you can still play in realtime very easily, and just scootch the resulting track up a bit in the sequencer to get it on top of the beat. In practice, I find that I subconsciously \"rush\" a little to compensate, anyway, and it all comes out fine.

Very cool stuff. Definitely in the pocket, mic\'ing wise, for the kind of stuff you\'re doing.

Tricks are good, Bruce..... finishing a new project studio right now, realizing how un-gifted of a carpenter I am.

Yeah...I\'ve been eyeing some of the libraries with legato tools. That would be nice for your generic pop string lines. Would Opus 1 be enough for what I need? I suppose I could get the big daddy package but I don\'t need all the extra instruments. (still cheaper than even hiring a small section and stacking...their starting to charge extra for stacks around here.)

tooting my own horn here, but the KI strings in GOS are prettyy lush and easy to use. I like them [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] hehee

VSL is the most detailed in terms of articulations tho [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , and I like those too

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I haven\'t really looked at the Opus 1 breakdown very carefully, but that might do it. The full-bore strings package is $1390 retail, but you\'d also need the Performance Set to get all the goodies. That could get $$$.

Just checked the Opus 1 list...no portamentos in the performance strings, but you do get the legatos. You\'d be getting lots of extras with that, too...might be the sweet spot for you.

I´d like to second the KI Strings aka Hollywood Strings. Perfect for a lush, sweet sound. But I have to admit, I don´t own VSL so I can´t really compare those two and tell what would be better for pop/rocj. Just wanted to point out I love the KI Strings [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Best
    Holger

Maybe Session Strings could be something for you:
    http://www.primesounds.com/cd/strings.html

\"Multisampled pop strings (violin, viola, cello and contra bass)- The material on Session Strings was performed by Stockholm Session Strings, a 12-piece String ensemble renown for their work with artists such as Celine Dion, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and Westlife.\"

$99.95 at http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?950

You guys are thinking way too big. I\'ve done string arrangements for a couple of major pop tracks with various string ensembles. The sound engineers who do these mixes always want a smaller ensemble. They want it dry, rough and up close. This is not only for freedom of post-processing, but also because of the special character of the strings that is required for them to sit properly in a mix. I would never dare to use samples for pop/rock string arrangements, but if you absolutely must you\'d probably be best off combining various solo violin libraries to form a small ensemble. Generally smaller groups are used (if not only a couple of violins overdubbed a few times). The \"hollywood sound\" is completely inappropriate in this setting. Unless you\'re a really great sound engineer I think you\'ll find this very hard to pull off, though.
    (And yes, that big fish library looks like a good deal for this type of work)

Thomas

Thomas is 100% right. The Nashville engineers I\'ve worked with have not liked GOS at all for strings. It\'s too big. Sometimes i\'ll use GOS for body and then layer a couple live vlns to give it up close edge and bite. That works well. I\'m about to try some projects with GPO. We\'ll see how that goes.

Kevin, odds are for what you\'re doing VSL will break your budget and still not happen for you. PM me and we can chat.

J-

Go Back to forum