• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: We Three Kings of Orient Are not happy!

Share/Bookmark

Wink We Three Kings of Orient Are not happy!

Well....., I originally wrote this before Christmas with a collection of other Christmas carols that I was arranging for orchestra. It is woefully obvious I was in a funk, not depressed really, but….well let’s go with melancholy at that time I wrote this. I played it the next day after I wrote and scored it and realized it sounded like or could be miss construed as a suicide note…(notes..) Starting out more like We three Kings from the underworld, .....it at least ends optimistic.

Anyway I shelved it and went on and arrange the rest of the carols in a happy, seasonal vain, of light and joyful which was appreciated by family. (They didn’t hear this one.)

Well I guess it is safe to post this now since it’s after Christmas. Not sure why I’m posting it here except it seems a shame not to be played at all. And I know you are tough boys and girls. It won’t leave permanent scars, I promise. Happy New Year to all.

CASS

WE THREE KINGS OF ORIENT ARE.
    Forgot to list instruments:
    Piano --Steinway Garritan GAS
    Strings: LASS
    Brass: Cinebrass
    Percussion: Cinepercussion
    Woodwinds: Several libraries, most are 13 years old,. Dan Dean Woodwinds, original VSL
    Synths: (at beginning. Prophecy Korg hardware)

Re: We Three Kings of Orient Are not happy!

Thanks for the share Cass! I liked it, but I found it more cheerful and happy sounding than sad (in a music only listening experience). Great stuff!!

EDIT: Maybe a bit spooky too at the beginning!

Regards,

Richard

Hi Cass,

This is a fantastic little piece of orchestral performance. What you let us hear in a minute is incredible. It surely shows your fabulous ability to colour with instruments and harmony. Why was it so short? Please go on with the theme, since it seems to inspire you to work with feelings and emotions.

Max

What an absolutely interesting piece of work. I just loved it. The arrangement and sound of the instruments was just great. It does certainly have its spooky and dark moments, but since I am usually depressed it fit perfectly for me. I much enjoyed your post.

Hi Cass,

I haven't been here to comment in ages, but need to get back in the grove here in 2014 ... and what better way than to start off with your uber-original arrangement of 'Kings' ... loved it, Cass!

What with those octave piano runs and some of your brass voicings, this piece comes off very Gershwin-esq. I would say the harmony and orchestration came off more dramatic than depressing to me. And since the reverb was leaning towards the wet side, it also sounds very cinematic. Because of the shifting rhythms and colors, I could see a modern film treatment of the three wise men approaching Bethlehem, possibly enduring some obstacles en route.

Although I haven't commented in a while, I have listened to several of the pieces you've posted over the last quarter, and as always, your music takes me on emotional rides. Your music always resonates with me; thanks for posting this and all the others.

Frank

Maybe this is what the Garritan Christmas Album needed this year - a good shot of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" - !

Wonderfully orchestrated, Cass - And I think the whole thing shows, once again, that some of the best music springs from less-than-settled frames of mind. Really. I think that's true, don't you?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Thanks for the share Cass! I liked it, but I found it more cheerful and happy sounding than sad (in a music only listening experience). Great stuff!!

EDIT: Maybe a bit spooky too at the beginning!

Regards,

Richard
    Richard,

I always surmised that you were the most optimistic person on earth and now I have proof of it!! If you found this to be cheerful and happy for the most part, then I want to know your diet, daily routines, and friends so I can achieve your state of mind!

Seriously, thanks for the “like” on this one. When you write something like this, you’re never know for sure if it is good or just too “out there” and strange for most peoples tastes. Maybe the intro doesn’t quite fit or work, but heck, it’s done. Time to move on with something else. Thanks for the reply!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Cass,

This is a fantastic little piece of orchestral performance. What you let us hear in a minute is incredible. It surely shows your fabulous ability to colour with instruments and harmony. Why was it so short? Please go on with the theme, since it seems to inspire you to work with feelings and emotions.

Max
    Hi Max,

Yeah, it’s pretty short. And of course there is a reason for that. When I was arranging Christmas carols for orchestra this Christmas season, I wanted several “fresh” versions of these chestnut carols for my family to hear on Christmas day. I had originally intended to have four verses of “We Three Kings” in a theme and variation format. In fact, I wrote out the variations on piano and was about to orchestrate them when I played this one, the one I wrote out the day before. It was just so dark in mood, I kind of lost interest in the variations (although a couple of them are pretty nifty. ) and continued on with the other carols. That’s why this piece is so short. It’s only one of the variations.

Maybe I’ll complete them next year. Kind of out of the mood now and besides I’ve just started an original piece for orchestra, which I’ve haven’t done in years , so I don’t want to lose the momentum.

Like Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker, I want Christmas music to be colorful in orchestration. It just fits the season, hence why I condensed so much orchestration variation down into one minute. Normally I don’t do this but Christmas music is just so much fun to orchestrate and constant change of colour seems to fit this type of music.

Thanks for the thumbs up on this one. It’s growing on me. I was nonplussed when I first heard it upon completion, but people like you help me to see its merits. Sometimes you’re just too close to your own creations to fairly critique it.
    Thanks again for the reply.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    What an absolutely interesting piece of work. I just loved it. The arrangement and sound of the instruments was just great. It does certainly have its spooky and dark moments, but since I am usually depressed it fit perfectly for me. I much enjoyed your post.
    Jay,

You would be the last person I would suspect of being even the slightest depressed with all your incredible upbeat jazz comps. Just goes to show you, you can’t judge a book by its cover or a musician by his/her music. I’m only glad that you are “at this moment” depressed so you could get the most out of this piece and enjoy it.

Okay, now its over.. Time to be that fun loving guy again and write some more cool jazz that we at Northern Sounds expect to get “us” through our “less than stellar” days ahead.

If you do that, I promise to write some more “dark” music so you can secretly enjoy it at your leisure! I won’t tell.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Cass,

I haven't been here to comment in ages, but need to get back in the grove here in 2014 ... and what better way than to start off with your uber-original arrangement of 'Kings' ... loved it, Cass!

What with those octave piano runs and some of your brass voicings, this piece comes off very Gershwin-esq. I would say the harmony and orchestration came off more dramatic than depressing to me. And since the reverb was leaning towards the wet side, it also sounds very cinematic. Because of the shifting rhythms and colors, I could see a modern film treatment of the three wise men approaching Bethlehem, possibly enduring some obstacles en route.

Although I haven't commented in a while, I have listened to several of the pieces you've posted over the last quarter, and as always, your music takes me on emotional rides. Your music always resonates with me; thanks for posting this and all the others.

Frank

Hi Frank. Great to hear from you. Yeah, I’m kind of in the same boat. I listen to practically everyone’s comps here but just don’t quite get the time to reply to them. I feel guilty at times, but I’m an incredibly bad typist and it takes lots of time for me to respond to any kind of text communication and then I feel guilty that I’m not composing myself. So no worries, I’m just glad that you respond when you can.

And this was an upbeat response from you. Thanks for that. I’m my worst critic and almost always dislike my finished product on anything I write or orchestrate…[.oh, Cass you could of done much better]….that kind of thing.

I wasn’t thinking of Gershwin when I orchestrated this, but I kind of see where you are coming from….little hints here and there. Of course I’m enamored by Gershwin’s music so it’s bound to show here and there. I’ve been told this before, but that’s a good thing in my book.

Yeah, I did go over to the “wet” side on the reverb, but not for the sake of being cinematic in nature. Although I , again, can see clearly your inference to movie making for this piece. As I just explained to Max, I hear Christmas music as colorful, vibrant music, much like Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker, hence the reason for all the color and variation for this piece in such a short period of duration. But getting back to the reverb, I also hear Christmas music as always being performed in a church with lots of reverb and reflections. That’s why I stepped up the reverb on this piece. I usually record much drier on my regular music, but this just seems to fit.

Of course a composer is always ecstatic when someone tells them that their music “resonates” with them. So thank you for that. At times it feels the only person resonating from my efforts is myself so I really appreciate this feedback.
    Hope the emotional ride you referred to, wasn’t too rough regarding this one, because you can’t get your ticket back!!! Lol

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast