• Register
  • Help

Topic: New orchestral piece

New orchestral piece

Hi guys,

Could you all check out my new piece?

Here is the link:

Btw. I\'m working on a creative soundblaster live, so don\'t expect high-quality mixing and sound quality.

Also, I know that I need to make the trumpets more in front.

All comments and suggestions are apprieciated.

Ps. The file size is rather big (8MB), I don\'t know if I could make it smaller without making the sound quality be worse than it is now.
    I think it\'s so big because the work is 6 minutes long.

Pss. I\'m looking forward to hear this piece played by real orchestra. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: New orchestral piece

Nobody interested? Why not?

Very nice and original! I\'m also a great lover of classical music. The strings and some other instruments sound a bit fake, or are they supposed to sound that way? Why wouldn\'t you try the midi file with better samples?

Indeed a couple of the instruments already sound very realistic. I\'m sure that when you use high quality samples for all instruments the music will sound as though it was performed by a real orchestra!

Too much potential to be stuck with a Soundblaster as a main source of orchestral samples.
    I enjoyed listening to your piece regardless.

I like the composition - nice job. Like you I am new to giga and just starting to see what is possible so I thought it is a good idea to offer friendly encouragement and advice.

From a musical point of view, I thought your counterpoint is really good and showed some interesting canon and fugue sections. You must love the classical era (Mozart/Bach)? The musical texture could use a bit more variety (pizzicato in some spots, mutes, tremolo, etc.) I think. You have a lot to be proud of with this music as it is well constructed musically.

From the technical side (giga/samples) I think the biggest thing your piece needs is expression. I must be honest with you, I haven\'t yet learned how to make the music sound natural and human but I\'ve heard it done and think its worth the practice. My suggestion to you is to take a section of the music that is very important musically and work on what it would take to make that section sound real. I think the experience of mastering expression to a satisfying degree on one of the critical climaxes of your music will help when you are ready to add the expression to the other areas.

Good luck!

Hi guys,

thank you all for writing and share your listening experience. Also a big thanks for the encouragement.

I hope to be able to save enough money for better samples and a better sound/audio card.

Karimelm, thanks and yes I\'m too starting to see what\'s possible with Giga. However, nothing match real orchestra. Yes, my favourite composer is Bach and I just love the baroque period. But ofcourse I also love Beethoven, Mozart and Brahms etc.
    However, musical education has a lot to do with the counterpoint which are really written all over the piece. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I also agree that I need to add some more expression, but I need to practice that much more before it will be as realistic as possible.

Btw. If someone is interested in how I work, then I write the piece first in Sibelius then I add the giga samples. Maybe it\'s because I know a lot of theory that I\'m able to work this way, I don\'t know.

Ps. I\'m always ready and willing to share my knowledge if someone has questions about counterpoint or whatever. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Luigi,

Thanks for listening! I\'m glad you liked my little work.

I\'m quite new to gigastudio so I don\'t own a lot of high-quality samples so I\'m mostly dealing with (old) soundfonts.

I know that the strings are bad, so I\'m saving for GOS or SI Symponic Strings.
    The brass are bad except for the horns (BOB Demo) and SAM trumpets.

However I have a great timpani sample from SAM.

So I\'m little short of GOOD samples. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

PS. I\'m also saving for new audio card (Currently using Soundblaster Live).

Pss. I\'ll ofcourse update this recording as a I get more quality samples.

Hi Falcon.

I\'m not trained in music the way you obvioulsly are, but I know what I like, and I like what you have done!
    To my ears it sounds terrific. Glad that you found use for the Horn from BoB, would be great to hear what you could do with the whole set!

Go Back to forum