• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Synthogy Ivory Grand Piano announced

Share/Bookmark

Synthogy Ivory Grand Piano announced

Synthogy have announced the Ivory Grand Pianos instrument plugin, which includes 3 Glorious Grands in one multi-platform sample-based virtual instrument. They describe it as \"The largest, most skillfully designed Grand Piano virtual instrument ever! Over 3,500 samples are combined with a sample-playback engine built from the ground up to bring out the resonance, response and character of the world’s finest Concert Grands.\"

Ivory\'s piano samples were brought to life using no-compromise technology in the finest studios and concert halls. The sessions were produced by Joe Ierardi, an accomplished pianist and award winning sound designer and producer of piano modules for Kurzweil Music Systems. Ierardi\'s unique expertise covers every aspect of piano design, from tuning and regulation, to recording, editing, programming and engine design.

- Screenshot

Ivory Features:

More than 20 Gigabytes of stunning, all NEW, Acoustic Grand Piano sampled instruments (Each piano can be installed separately):

German Steinway D 9\' Concert Grand.

Bösendorfer 290 Imperial Grand.

Yamaha C7 Grand.

Synthogy\'s exclusive, powerful 32 bit Sample Playback and DSP engine, engineered specifically for recreating the acoustic piano.

Sympathetic String Resonance DSP for realistic Damper Pedal response.

World class digital FX including Real Ambience, Chorus and EQ.

Customizable with User controls for Timbre, Stereo Width and Perspective, Velocity Response, Mechanical Key Noise, Tuning and more.

Expertly tuned and regulated pianos in world-class studios and concert halls.

Phase-perfect stereo samples stored in 32 bits.

All 88 keys individually sampled in up to 8 dynamic levels (plus Bösendorfer extended low octave).

Incorporates sample interpolation technology used for ultra-smooth velocity and note transitions.

Real Release and Soft Pedal samples.

Full length sustain samples, no loops.

Optional synth pad layer for modern/pop combinations.

Dozens of user-adjustable presets.

Produced and programmed by pre-eminent piano sound designer, Joe Ierardi.

Ivory is scheduled to begin shipping in the first quarter of 2004 and will be available for Windows and Mac OS 9/X in VST, AU & RTAS formats at an MSRP of $349.

Re: Synthogy Ivory Grand Piano announced

Aa I say in another post, these look great, but there\'s no ADSR control. A huge, astonishing stumble. Why would I buy a piano sample if I can\'t control the ADSR? $350, and I can\'t change the decay for slow songs? Can\'t reduce the sustain level if the designers default setting doesn\'t fit a song? All the libraries with pianos let you control ADSR, now: Sampletank2, Plugsounds, Giga and Kontakt libraries, of course, the East-West\\Post Bos plug-in.

Very limited control set, despite all the other settings. (Yes, I want to hear what happens when you change the wood for the soundboard, as this set apparently lets you do. But I seriously doubt I\'ll buy this set, now.)

(And looking at it again, there\'s no control over regions--changes in timbre, etc, will affect all of the notes. So the very, very basic ability to apply a lowpass filter to a few upper notes,and change the cutoff frequencies at different notes or velocity layers, is out the window, too. And the ability to change the volume on some notes, to get the balance of bass and treble right for a song. Don\'t all the piano plugins give this much control, except for The Grand?

So they\'re developing a piano plugin without reviewing what edits piano players always want to be able to make, or what editing abilities are standard for piano sample sets.

Strange. Sorry if I seem dismissive now about this piano set. I was looking forward to hearing the demos.)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I\'m curious about the bit depth. A 32-bit disk storage of samples reduced polyphony potential by a full half over 16-bit samples, and 50% over 24-bit samples. Since a piano can easily rack up 100-150 voices on a typical part, this could well take the resources of an entire machine\'s disk subsystem to play back a single instrument--at a time when disk access and throughput speeds are reaching a theoretical plateau.

If this plugin is streaming PIANO data at 32-bits, how does this coexist and work well in a production with multiple instruments?

Will this be available in sampler formats? Many of us do not want multiple engines competing for hard-drive streaming. Will the sampler user be accommodated with this?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Lee, was I talking to you? No.

There are several questions in my post. I missed nothing. I am not sure why you consider yourself moderator of all I do and say here. You bore me with your lectures, and you have absolutely NO information to provide me, so please, buzz off. Insert the word I really mean for \"buzz,\" please. I\'m seeking information, not a scolding from my self-appointed mommy.

Bruce, good questions. Maybe they should offer both a 32 bit and a dithered down 16 bit version? And the other issues show the disadvantages of having just an instrument with a built-in playback sampler.

Jake, you also make some very good points. Changing the decay, low pass filter cutoff frequency, attenuation for certain notes and not others is the kind of tweaking I do all the time on my sampled pianos, so it is too bad that it seems like this cannot be done with Ivory. But there are some nice options not often found in other sampled pianos like both Stretch and Equal tuning, both Performer and Audience stereo perspectives, adjustable key noise, DSP resonance modeling, soft pedal, and that intriguing soundboard option! Add to that you are getting over 20 GB of 3500 samples from three fine concert grands for the price of $350. And produced by a Kurzweil designer (I still remember that awesome, pioneering K250 and K1000 Grand Piano from the 1980\'s that was a decade ahead of its time!) So I definately will be taking a closer look at this welcome new offering. Hopefully in the future, they will add more ways to tweak and adjust the instruments.

Well, I think it could sound great, and I\'m really looking forward to the demos. And, believe me, I want it to be a great set of pianos.

(Looking at the sceenshots, I noticed a small button called More on the Effects page. Maybe they\'ll offer more editing than the screenshots show.) Anyone from the company able to answer these concerns? Clearly, you have us interested, if also worried.

But this isn\'t a real piano: ADSR settings are edited by the multisample creators--it\'s not as though we\'re given a pure, accurate recording that I want to destroy by altering the real ADSR of the intrument. The editor makes choices about the ASDR. (Often so all the notes sound alike, with the same strike and decay and release times, so there is a sense of consistency, even though a real piano will have slight variations across the keyboard.) Editing by the user can actually shift the piano back closer to the original sound of the real piano. And create new variations on the sound.

I stand corrected,and I understand your point..
    Thanks
    JJDPRO

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    But this isn\'t a real piano: ADSR settings are edited by the multisample creators--it\'s not as though we\'re given a pure, accurate recording that I want to destroy by altering the real ADSR of the intrument. The editor makes choices about the ASDR. (Often so all the notes sound alike, with the same strike and decay and release times, so there is a sense of consistency, even though a real piano will have slight variations across the keyboard.) Editing by the user can actually shift the piano back closer to the original sound of the real piano. And create new variations on the sound.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

The interface looks great! No menus, just nice understandable knobs that are self explanatory. I never fool with stuff like ASDR, but an on/off button for release samples, perspective button, choice of wood...even dummies like me can understand those parameters.

It looks very usable. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast