• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Small Footprint Piano Library

Share/Bookmark

Small Footprint Piano Library

Calling all sample veterans...

In contrast to all the big piano libs comming out, I\'m looking for a good smaller/older one. At this point, I suppose it\'s going to end up being an Akai format piano. I looking for somthing that\'ll load up into a Korg Triton. Any recommendations on a decent sounding one?

Re: Small Footprint Piano Library

I have no idea whether it will load into a Triton or not, but I still use my Holy Grail piano sometimes. It has a very dry and bright sound, and although overall it isn\'t up to par with the newer mega-sized libraries, I find it can work better in a pop or rock setting. There\'s also the free Akai \"Splendid Grand,\" if you can still find it. It wasn\'t bad for its day.

The Ultimate Piano Collection from East West is a good small memory library. There should be demos somewhere.

Holy Grail piano is pretty big already.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    The Ultimate Piano Collection from East West is a good small memory library. There should be demos somewhere.

Holy Grail piano is pretty big already.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I bought it as an Emu library before I started switching everything over the EXS24. It came in 76 meg and 128 meg programs---big for a hardware sampler, but tiny when compared to today\'s computer-based piano libraries.

Thanks for the input all. I\'ll check out the Ultimate Piano Collection. The Korg Triton has 96Mb of sample ram. Hopefully this will be sufficient.

One other suggestion... Consider Coakley\'s Perfect Piano. Not sure how it would sound on the Triton but I have been using his sample sets in a Yamaha EX5. After loading and doing some slight tweaks, the samples sounded better in the EX than they did in an Akai sampler.

\"Prosonus Piano\" from Big Fish Audio might be small enough. The demos still sounds good, but I dont own it.

\"Concert Grand Pianos\" by ILIO, another one developed for RAM based samplers so another one to look into. Again I dont own it, but I seem to remember thinking the demo sounded pretty good.

I wonder how well they would convert...

Ed

How small do you need it? How\'s 10MB sound? There\'s a very small, yet decent soundfont piano from Sonic Implants:

http://www.sonicimplants.com/Products/pianoimplants.htm

Couple of demos there to see if you like it. You can get a cheap or free editor to extract the samples, then map them out however you need to. I found that I could get a pretty smooth result by reconstructing the piano in VSampler3 and applying velocity-controlled filters. You\'d want to do the same, and the size of the sample set makes that feasible in a very short amount of time. My version sounds much better than the original soundfont, which wasn\'t too bad to begin with given the size.

The \"5 layers\" that SI talks about are really just 5 velocity layers, where each layer opens up the cutoff frequency a bit more. So really there\'s just 1 layer, and the filter is a must. Also includes hammer releases for Added Realism(tm).

For sure, check out Ksounds.

http://www.ksounds.com/

http://www.musik.auc.dk/~bovbjerg/piano4.html

30 mb, and it\'s free. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum