• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Digital Audio over Gigabit LAN

Share/Bookmark

Re: Digital Audio over Gigabit LAN

What\'s involved in upgrading from 10/100 to gigabit? New cards, I\'m sure...new router? Can you have both machines on the same network?

Thanks.

What\'s involved in upgrading from 10/100 to gigabit? New cards, I\'m sure...new router? Can you have both machines on the same network?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">New cards + New switch. Yes you can have all your machines on the same network (not sure if I understand this question though).

Originally posted by damoy:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> What\'s involved in upgrading from 10/100 to gigabit? New cards, I\'m sure...new router? Can you have both machines on the same network?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">New cards + New switch. Yes you can have all your machines on the same network (not sure if I understand this question though). </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Originally posted by damoy:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> What\'s involved in upgrading from 10/100 to gigabit? New cards, I\'m sure...new router? Can you have both machines on the same network?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">New cards + New switch. Yes you can have all your machines on the same network (not sure if I understand this question though). </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for the info. What I mean is, if I have 3 10/100\'s now, do I have to upgrade all three..or can I put new cards in 2 of them and replace the switch/router?

Yes. You can update the nodes one at a time. As long as you use the old switch, it will work at 100BaseT or 10BaseT rates, depending on what you have. Once you update the switch, then any Gigabit nodes will speak to one another at Gigabit rates. They will automatically speak more slowly to your legacy nodes.

All in all it\'s pretty painless. I\'ve now got three Gigabit PCs (my Giga box, my wife\'s and my son\'s PCs), though I\'m still using the 100BaseT switch. After I upgrade I wonder if my wife and kid will notice the slowdown, when I start secretly running effects on their machines? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    After I upgrade I wonder if my wife and kid will notice the slowdown, when I start secretly running effects on their machines? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Award for funniest post today on any forum I have been on- thx-needed the good laugh [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    lmao...

Glad to make my contribution. I wonder if they\'ll get suspicious when I start buying them large quantities of RAM?

Digital Audio over Gigabit LAN

For those people interested in some of the nitty-gritty behind audio over Gigabit Ethernet, here\'s an article from Broadcast Engineering on the subject.

The theoretical limits according to the article are 600 channels of 32-bit audio at 48kHz (the mag is TV-oriented). In the hardware implementation profiled here, the measured latency is 460uS one way, again for 48kHz audio.

I don\'t know how closely FxTeleport follows the details presented here, but it\'s interesting nonetheless. Well, interesting for the technology geeks among us anyway...

http://broadcastengineering.com/ar/broadcasting_digital_audio_networking/index.htm

Jon,

thanks for the links. I only use GigaLan cards..

Alan Russell

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Glad to make my contribution. I wonder if they\'ll get suspicious when I start buying them large quantities of RAM?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re actually giving me some ideas...

Go Back to forum