• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Secret!

Share/Bookmark

A Secret!

The secret is... I just wanted to start a conversation with everyone!!! LOL! It is a new year now! As we all love to compose and create music for everyone to listen to, what is everyone's musical goals this year? What are your projects, anything happening? What do you want to do with your music in 2014?

My goals for 2014 include: I want to get better at composing ! I have learned much since being here and continuing to progress. I want to start a new year of composing and arranging music for the memories of Tara, and I want to launch the beginning of my new dramatic series, "Love and War."

So what to you guys have planned for the new year!!!

Cheers,

Richard

Re: A Secret!

Interesting question, Richard. My plans for 2014 are my most ambitious in several years. I have currently begun to explore Sonar, for one thing. This is a huge leap for me, and I admit it's imtimidating, but I am determined to improve the quality of my renderings.

Second, my composition will expand to include my experimenting with different styles--mostly concert band and wind ensemble pieces.

My goals for 2014 include: I want to get better at composing !
    I'm curious. How will you do that?

Thanks for starting this thread!

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Red face Re: A Secret!

One of my goals is to upgrade my Missa Brevis for two performances.

Also will do my best to understand Cubase - an endless task.

My Christmas CD sold very well this year, so I will begin right away on one for 2014. A second disk of perambulation music is in the works and who knows - if I get really silly I may attack another musical - although I have two relentless friends who want me to try a chamber opera instead.

On the other hand, realized from experience, I may strike out on any of a dozen paths according to what gets my attention at any unexpected moment.

Tom

I have several goals this year, perhaps one or two too many, but (in no particular order)...

Learn more about Reaper so I can use more of its extensive features.
    Finish the Culloden Oratorio (that has been lingering about for nearly a decade and a half!)
    Complete the score for the two children's shows with my writing partner so we can try and sell 'em!
    Complete my next album- a pop-classics collection inspired by my mother's career in the 40's and 50's.

We'll see how many get done.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Exclamation Re: A Secret!

My primary composing goal - to be completed within the next few months - is the completion of a one-man show "Celebrate Indiana". This will be a 45-60 minute music convocation for Indiana elementary and middle schools celebrating the upcoming bicentennial of Indiana in 2016. I will try out parts of the show at some locals schools this spring and offer the full show to schools around the state in the fall of 2014.

It will be a fun and fast moving show - most of the time - with a wide variety of styles - rock, rap, hip-hop, folkish(James Taylor style), bluegrass, blues and ballads - some with orchestral background. I also will do at least one on-the-spot vocal looping number using a TC Electronics VoiceLive Touch 2. I may add visuals using an iPad or MacBook and a projector.

I play guitar so I will use my Martin D-35, a custom built Indiana-shaped electric guitar, as well as my Yamaha digital grand piano. I just ordered today a Morgan Monroe wide-necked 5-string banjo with a custom electric pickup system installed. I will teach myself some simple clawhammer-style playing to be incorporated in the show. I also got a great deal with the same music company today for a simple mandolin with a pickup to be used in some of the soundtracks. I will use a few songs from my Indiana musical - "Indiana, That's Where I Belong" that is being used by hundreds of Indiana schools. I might grab a song or two also from my commissioned Broadway-style musical I wrote in 2009 - "Rivertown".

I am currently working on the songs and a poster series for the Bicentennial too using my photos I have taken around the state. And I am in training for my next attempt at a 100-mile trail race in April.

So 2014 will be my busiest year since I retired early from teaching elementary music in 2010. Good times.
    And I still get in a good nap every day! ! !
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Fun thread, Richard - Didn't know what to expect with the "A Secret!" title.

Musical goals. Well, I want to avoid repeating myself, so want to compose more new things than I did last year. And at some point I know I'll be trying my hand at more Concert Band scores.

The one big project I know of right now involves a theatre piece I'm writing. It's not a musical, but eventually will need a lot of underscoring and scene change music composed for it, along with a fairly involved sound effects track also. The whole project, script, trial runs, re-writing, composing - whatever else I have to do with it, will probably be my main squeeze for the whole year. I'm deep into it, but know there are many months of work ahead on it.

SO - that's about it for me!

Randy

This is awesome guys! It's very interesting to see what everyone has planned for the new year. I wish everyone the best in there success with their goals.

@Randy:
    Heheh!!! I don't know why, but I just had in me to spark some curiosity using the title Secret, lol, have to have fun !

@Art:
    Some things I will be focusing on this year to help my composing which I still need to put more effort into include: timing of notes (I still use snap to grid), reaching a richer amount of dynamics (I have improved but still need to work on it), and I want to create different kinds of compositions then my usual stuff. So, I have to work beyond what I know how to do. Taking both Randy and Fab's advice with starting off with just a melody rather than with chords is going to be one of my goals for this year. I am rookie composer to most of the people here LOL, but I am learning and dedicated to composing!

Regards,

Richard

Taking both Randy and Fab's advice with starting off with just a melody rather than with chords is going to be one of my goals for this year.
    Not to change the thread direction, but this is how I work. In fact, I have manuscript paper everywhere--in my nightstand, in the car, at various other places, and when something pops up, I write it down. My wife knows it's not unusual for me to pull over to the side of the ride in the car to write down material--usually melodies and motifs. I hear the harmony with these items, and often the instrumentation, at least, the initial instrumentation. I also write notes on the music's character, orchestration, harmony, and anything else that will help me recall what I've written down accurately. I have a large computer file of these items, plus the manuscript paper all over the place, which I periodically transfer to computer. It's often weeks, months or years before I pull up one of these items to develop.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Hi Richard,

Happy New Year ... and thanks for starting yet another interesting thread over here in General Discussion ... I'm wondering if I'm ever going to make it back over to the Listening Room! LOL Really, Richard, you have taken a vey active interest in this forum and have infused new blood into it. Keep it up!

For 2014, I start with two 'known' projects ... one is ongoing work with an out-of-town client, which involves some arranging, orchestrating, and production assistence. It comes in small, but relatively steady doses, so it's easy to schedule it when it comes.

The other is a fun one: My neice is getting married in Chicago in October and has asked me to write an arrangement of "Sunrise Sunset" to be played when her father walks her down the isle to give her away. This same song was played at her mom and dad's wedding, so she thought this would be a nice bridge between them.

I hope to be meeting with the producer/writer of our parish musicals shortly to kick-off a new project, one that probably won't be staged until Spring of 2015, but I should be able to get the arrangements/orchestrations (which we use as backing tracks for our live performances) started this year. This will be my third complete musical as music director/arranger/orchestrator ... a ton of work (20-30 pieces!), but very rewarding, especially working with kids/teens, who comprise about half of the company.

On a personal basis, I would also like to create a large ensemble Latin work or two. Latin music, particularly the Afro-Cuban styles (mambo, cha-cha, salsa, etc.) have always been among my favorite types of music to hear and play. I've been studying it and would like to explore what I've been learning in a piece.

Oh ... and of course, another Christmas carol for the (let's hope!) 2014 Garritan Community Christmas - Vol 11 project!

Frank

Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Go Back to forum