• Register
  • Help

Topic: Building Bolero

Suburban NYC

Re: Building Bolero

FAN-TAS-TIC, Randy!!

This was really a great way to start Thursday for me ... one of the cleverest pieces of music ever written. Very cute with the little street busker joining in and then again with the symphony snare drummer at the end.

When I didn't see any saxes (the normal orchestration calls for two saxophonists (one of the few classical pieces that does!) playing soprano, sopranino, and tenor saxes between them), and the short time duration, I realized this is an abridged performance. Normally, the piece usually takes a good 15 minutes, but that doesn't take away from what an uplifting video this is!!

I think some of the amazing things about the piece is that, "A"- It almost wasn't written!; "B"- It was only composed in 1928 ... not all that long ago!; "C"- Nearly the entire 19 repeats of the theme are all in the key of C (six bars of E Maj in the finale, but it returns to C after that!) ... no modulations! However, and this is part of the brilliance of the piece, Ravel doubles the melody here and there in some parallel keys producing a very magical composite sound.

The one parallel key doubling I was aware of, thanks to Don Sebesky's "The Contemporary Arranger", was @ 2:28 - The horn plays the melody in C (doubled by the high celeste one and two octaves above), and the two piccolos play the melody, but in keys built on the third and fifth partials of the harmonic series of C (G and E). The horn plays mf, and the piccs play only pp ... the piccs are not heard as a separate entity, but instead as overtones of the fundamental French horn sound. How cool is THAT!

Here's a link for those wanting to learn more about this wonderful piece of music ...

Ravel's Bolero

Thanks again, Randy, for starting today off so magically!

Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Oh what fun, Randy! I shared this video at work with some of the staff! I told them it would make them want to dance. I tried it to do that, but my office is so small I kept hitting my desk!!!

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

Lenovo, Windows 10 64 bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio, Finale 25, Sonar

Cool! A symphony flash mob! Reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQLCZOG202k.
    Arthur J. Michaels

Finale 2000 through 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.2
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

This video really is so great - I'm glad to see you guys responding to it. Frank with you great history lesson on the piece, Gary A. with your always unbridled enthusiasm, and Art!--THAT is exactly the video I thought of when my wife shared this with me this morning, the Belgium "flash mob" doing the ""Do-Re-Me" mash up dance in the train station - Thanks for posting the link.

Just look at the joy music can bring to the world. Pretty darned inspiring.

There is a similar one of this that takes place in the Copenhagen train station with members of the Danish Philharmonic. What fun! Also, a great one of the last movement of Beethoven's 9th in Catalonia.

There should flash performances like this everywhere.

Always a treat to see these - thanks, Randy!
    Ron Pearl

Very cool Randy!

If I am not mistaken, I think this was done to celebrate the Queensland State Orchestra moving to their new home in Brisbane's South Bank as part of the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission - the Australian government TV/Radio service)

Go Back to forum