• Register
  • Help

Topic: Convolution piano soundboard clips

Convolution piano soundboard clips

After the excitement over the new convolution engine in GST3 we did a quick test with the IR of the PMI Bos290 soundboard resonance. The soundboard resonance is a sample we recorded in 96 kHz/24 bit.

The next MP3 clips show the use of convolution that adds extra soundboard resonance to our PMI Bos290 library. It works very well in bringing the release trail of the piano to a higher level of realism. It adds a tone that sings just like the real soundboard did. The tone goes on singing even when the keys are released, just like in the real piano. During legato melodies the resonance can bring the melody to life because unlike a standard reverb the convolution engine only responds to those harmonics that are present in the dry signal. In fact when the same IR is used on another piano sample (or other instrument) the convolution sound is totally different as it responds to randomly corresponding frequencies and harmonics.

- Clip one NO IR-res is the dry signal (no added convolution) that was fed into the convolution engine.
    - Clip two Mixed IR is the mixed signal (dry plus 25% convolution signal). The soundboard IR was used to add a short resonance tail.
    - Clip three IR solo is the solo resonance signal (so you can hear the resonance in solo mode).

The IR we used can be downloaded for your own experiments. Contact us at: *nospam*info@postmusicalinstruments.com for details.

I\'m finishing a new organ library that will benefit from this new convolution engine technology a lot. I recorded several IR\'s (not just the real church ambience but also of the pipe body resonance) that I will use to \"convolution-ize\" new timbres. Say a flute sample convolutioning the IR of a trumpet. Looks very promising so far.

Re: Convolution piano soundboard clips

Very exciting, indeed! I\'m glad to see creative developers are already looking at ways to realize the potential of this new technology.

And we play these IRs in some thing like Alti Verb, right?

Amazing stuff, Michiel. The future looks bright! Even though I like darker pianos! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS - Also looking forward to your organ release.

Did the files get mislabeled? The files save as \"Bos290\". But I noticed on playback the file shows the name as \"PMI C7\" which suggests it is your Yamaha library....

All the same, it\'s a remarkable enhancement! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, how far along is the organ project?

Wow. The resonance definitely says \"real piano\" to me. To be picky, there didn\'t seem to be enough low-end in this particular impulse. No matter, this shows the potential of the technology, which is really promising. Listening to the resonance alone shows why it would work well on a pipe organ. Good thing you got those church/pipe impulses!

GS3 just moved up a notch on my must-have-list.

Altiverb, Waves IR, SIR, GigaPulse, Acoustic Mirror, Nuendo, Samplitude Sequoia...pick your flavour.

The body resonance IR is part of the digital fingerprint of an instrument that we can now replicate very well. Our brain responds to this information and the reality-meter reads full scale: REAL!
    It also opens up a whole range of new possibilities: for example I applied the Bosendorfer290 soundboard IR to a harpsichord, a celesta and a pipe organ. It adds the Bosendorfer soundboard resonance to the fragile harpsichord sound. Amazing things happen. Some are very useful. Other just sound very weird.

BTW the MP3 tags on the above clips are wrong, correct.

Audio Ease has an IR of a bosendorfer piano\'s soundboard/strings sampled with a brick on the sustain pedal so all strings ring out for 17 sec!

That\'s not the same thing we\'re talking here. Correct?
    You probably sampled the soundboard itself leaving the sustain pedal up, right?

Audio Ease recorded another Bosendorfer. We are in contact about these possibilities. Altiverb is mainly used as a reverb, not a convolution engine to emulate body resonance or microphone characteristics. They have no real interest to promote Altiverb as anything else than the best verb on earth.

I recorded my own IR\'s.
    BTW, AURORA is an option too to add convolution. A bit scientific in usage but very accurate.

Go Back to forum