• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: SIR example - comments?

Share/Bookmark

SIR example - comments?

Hi there,

I wanted to run this by as many who would listen. On a recent thread the latest rev of SIR was discussed. I knew nothing about using convolution verb (and still don’t). But I liked what I heard and wrote this short diddy to run through it. Let me know what you think of this verb (and the theme for that matter). Any pointers on how to get the most of SIR would be appreciated.

This music is for a small project I am doing with an artist (painter). She is quite gifted and is putting together an anthology of her work with music. This painting shows a husband (and soon-to-be martyr) saying his ‘good-byes’ to his wife and children for the last time – he promises they will be together again – thus the title “Until Forever”. It is somewhat sad given the circumstances but hopefully you hear the ‘hope’ for the ‘reunion’ in there.

http://www.robelliottmusic.com/mp3s/Romantic/Until%20Forever.mp3

Rob

Re: SIR example - comments?

Rob, it\'s beautiful. It sounds perfect for the visual you described..and yes, the subtle hope is in there...very nice. I love it when someone uses a few sparse notes to convey complex emotions. To me, that\'s a real talent and a pretty difficult thing to do.

I can\'t help you much with SIR. Like you, I just stick it in, and it sounds good...almost always better than the other reverb plugs I have. I do find it it helps to use it along with other reverbs if you have the CPU. I like the sound of UAD\'s Dreamverb plate settings mixed with SIR cathredral.

In this piece it works particularly well because you\'re getting the reverb and a nice close intimate feel. So many plugs add too much distance, but this feels like you\'re close to the visual.

That was very nice, Rob. Thanks.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Mr. Elliot,

What a wonderful piece of music. Could you explain a little more how you made it? The reverb is absolutely splendid. The only thing I would like was a little noise of the actual players in the hall.

What instruments and from which libraries? It sounds like the delicious legatos from VSL. But how did you give the strings such an amount of warmth?

This is absolutely wonderful.

Isabella Rowlins

Hey Alex, Thanks for your nice comments.

Sporter,

Where did you find \'cathedral\' IR - I didn\'t notice that on the noisevault site.

When you use two verb plugs is there any rhyme or reason - or just like most other things - \'season to taste\'?

On this cue, as you pointed out, I wanted a \'smaller sound\'- aside from the solo Clarinet and Cello, most is just strings accomp. and just a tad of perc. and voice.

This SIR is really neato (and the price!!!). Can\'t wait to hear some mixes with GP.

Rob

Originally posted by Isabella Rowlins:
    Mr. Elliot,

What a wonderful piece of music. Could you explain a little more how you made it? The reverb is absolutely splendid. The only thing I would like was a little noise of the actual players in the hall.

What instruments and from which libraries? It sounds like the delicious legatos from VSL. But how did you give the strings such an amount of warmth?

This is absolutely wonderful.

Isabella Rowlins
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Isabella,

I am so pleased that you liked it. I actually did add some of GOS Ambience in there (you can really only hear it on the top and the fade end - right after the cello finishes his/her last note. Probably could tweak it higher overall - good idea.

As far as the strings - yes it is the p-leg VLN patch for the melody double, for the swells I used pfp patches from VL, VA, VC, and KB (double basses).

I also used something that I learned right here at NS. I have had this JV 1080 lying around collecting dust and someone here said they used the \"Rosin Pad\" all the time for string pads. That with some CC#11 (for the expression and swells) and there you have it. They are not strong enough to \'carry\' a theme but excellent for \'rounding\' out VSL\'s strings.

The solo clarinet and cello were from VSL as well. I am a tad underwhelmed with the solo cello and will have this played live when it is recorded for real. But, the thought of what GS3 (with 512 dimensions) and what it will additional do for VSL makes this camper pretty excited about the possibilities. I want to be able to \'play\' a solo instrument and develop the vibrato AND tone for the particuliar piece of music I am working on. With more dimensions - this should be very possible. Exciting times my friend.

Thanks Isabella for you comments - hope this explains it OK for you.

Rob

Hi Rob,

This is really nice work! Enjoyed it very much.

-matt mariano

Thanks Matt,

I hope you are keeping your head above the water line with your work down there in LA.

Rob

Rob, on the Sir page there is a link called \"Download Example Impuls Response\" which is a zip folder with the Cathedral and Theatre impulses. I\'ve found them to be very good.

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

When I use two verbs, I usually start with different types like a short and a long and let one be the dominant and add just a little of the other. They often blend and make a more natural sound. But it\'s easy to go overboard.

Hey Sporter,

Thanks for the link and the doubling tip.

Rob

Go Back to forum