• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Film Scores that make you feel depressed about your orchestral samples...

Share/Bookmark

Film Scores that make you feel depressed about your orchestral samples...

Just about everything by John Williams...

Stargate by David Arnold... my God... the strings, flutes... trumpets... *sob*

Anything else anyone wants to add?

Ed

Re: Film Scores that make you feel depressed about your orchestral samples...

Film Scores that make you feel depressed about your orchestral samples?

Story of my life. (That\'s not a score. That\'s how I feel.)

------------
    Alex Cremers

I can\'t think of a certain recording, but whenever I see musicians playing live... even if they\'re mediocre, I get depressed about my samples.

When I go see the Atlanta Symphony... or any other pro orchestra I feel all dirty about what I do.

Here\'s one that will make you feel good about your samples: Whale Rider, original music by Lisa Gerrard (Gladiator, Mission Impossible II, Tears of the Sun...).

The movie is wonderful. Set in a Maori town in New Zealand, there is conflict between new and tradiitonal, young and old, male and female. It won audience choice awards at Toronto and Sundance. If you can watch it without crying, you\'re stronger than I am.

The score is reasonably well composed, but it\'s obviously synthetic. I\'ve heard much stronger soundsets from user and developer demos associated with this forum.

Don\'t let the cover fool you. It\'s not a kid\'s movie, though children over ten will likley enjoy it too. If you\'re looking for a non-Hollywood movie the next time you\'re at the video store, I highly recommend that you pick it up.

Enjoy the movie - and the game of \"guess the samples\".

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Here\'s one that will make you feel good about your samples: Whale Rider, original music by Lisa Gerrard (Gladiator, Mission Impossible II, Tears of the Sun...).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"><snip>

I know there are good sampled scores, but Im talking about those which arent... and depress you knowing that you cannot do the same even with the best orchestral libraries out there today.

Ed

> \"I know there are good sampled scores, but Im talking about those which arent... and depress you knowing that you cannot do the same even with the best orchestral libraries out there today.\"

I understand. I just thought I\'d share something on the flip-side, so we don\'t all slit our wrists. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    I understand. I just thought I\'d share something on the flip-side, so we don\'t all slit our wrists. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">LOL [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ed

You know, with things like EWQLSO and VSL available we\'ve no right at all to feel depressed about out samples! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Try going back ten years - now that\'s depression. We\'re lucky that we\'re writing orchestral music _now_ rather than back then.

I was just listening to Hermann\'s Psycho score and... wow that would be tough. And not just the screechy bits.

Alien 3, or almost anything by Elliot Goldenthal...all of those cool organic textures and clusters...not to mention, I have yet to hear the \"Huge Goldenthal Horn Rip\" on any current sample lib.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast