• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: PMI Piano's 24 BIT for GS3

Share/Bookmark

PMI Piano\'s 24 BIT for GS3

Will the PMI Piano\'s also become available in 24 BIT format for GIGAStudio 3?

Re: PMI Piano\'s 24 BIT for GS3

Will that be the reason for you to get GS3? ( [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Hansi

Of course, only for that reason..... and a few more. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

GST3 is a major leap forwards and we will certainly use the extra possibilities that it offers in future libraries as well as by providing updates for the existing product line, including 24 bit samples.
    The 24 bit samples are already available in HALion and Kontakt formats so the implementation of these 24 bits samples is a minor issue. The library size will not increase much due to loss-less compression which will also not affect performance in any way.
    The implementation of extra velocity layers, convolution, advanced midi rules and midi controller status-change induced events will further enhance the possibilities of the libraries. You can expect some mind-blowing things when GST3 is released!
    We’re working on a plan for such upgrade paths.

There are some issues that remain to be solved first. One of them is obvious; CP. Until we have a solid and for the user non-intrusive way to protect our IP we will be forced to wait with such updated versions until such a method becomes available. Our business is based on making the highest possible quality libraries available to customers and we want to restrict this availability to paying customers.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

There you go, folks. Michiel has just joined the ranks of the next front on copy protection.

Ironic Michiel, that the very people who paid for your existence and supported your work will be left out in the cold, because you and a few other developers are going to attempt to blackmail Tascam into putting CP into the GS3 app...by holding out on your users.

There were no CP restrictions on the 24-bit libraries which you distributed in other formats. Why are you punishing the users of GigaStudio?

Hey hey, who says that?
    I expect that adequate CP will exist in the very near future. In fact, I know it exists. It\'s more a matter of implementation.
    Don\'t turn the arguments around.
    The fact that we have the 24 bits samples available for Halion does not imply that we are also selling them. So far we sold a couple a few weeks ago and immediately after that they showed up as DL\'s on pub-lists. Sales stopped suddenly. You know the pattern. The same pattern that we hope to break soon.

Not to add fuel to the seemingly endless argument about CP, I have one question (one which I assume the opponents to CP will challenge):

Do musicians who use samples in making music that they sell for a living ignore copyrighting their music?

If so, then by all means the makers of sample libraries should stop worrying about copy-proecting their products.

I\'ve pretty much kept quiet on the CP thing, but what the heck, I\'ll jump into the fray.

I hope that GS3 adds some simple level of CP. (Sorry Bruce!)

I\'m not a developer. I\'m not a professional composer/producer/musician. I\'m an obsessive hobbyist. That\'s the perspective I\'m coming from.

* I don\'t care about editing raw samples. (At least I haven\'t so far.)

* I don\'t mind going through authenication. Click, click and it\'s done. You only do it on the install and on the rare occasion afterwards.

* I don\'t mind waiting a day or weekend to work out some authentication issue with the publisher. Many schemes let you use the product unauthorized for a few days, so there\'s likley no gap in service.

So far, no (or little) pain.

* I *do* want everybody to publish their libs for my favorite sample player. (I have some interoperability problems with GPO. They would vanish if it were on Giga.) Giga allows me to reprogram stuff for *my* needs and style, rather than based on what the developer *thinks* I should be doing.

That\'s the big benefit for me.

So, CP isn\'t perfect? Not my problem. Maybe it will delay pirating, which will help initial sales. I want the developers to stay in business.

It\'s a race to the bottom? Maybe. But at least I have the choice to buy or avoid a CP lib. If the sounds are good, maybe CP is secondary. Maybe not. My choice.

Tascam should implement a simple, minimally intrusive CP. It gives the developers a CP option. It gives users more libs to choose from. Tascam shouldn\'t spend time trying to make it perfect. Keep it simple. Build the low fence.

Here\'s how I see it:

(1) In a world with no Giga CP, EWQLSO/Post/whatever is a Rompler on Kontakt/Kompakt/whatever only.

(2) In a world with Giga CP, EWQLSO/Post/etc possibly becomes a Rompler on Giga as well.

I\'ll take option (2) please.

One thing is clear. Developers who have chosen to lock their samples will lock them no matter what Tascam does, and no matter what arguments are given against CP.

Giga without CP is a very shallow victory.

And again, this is from the obsessed hobbyist. Other constituents wants/needs/perspectives may vary.

Originally posted by hendrkf:
    Do musicians who use samples in making music that they sell for a living ignore copyrighting their music?

If so, then by all means the makers of sample libraries should stop worrying about copy-proecting their products.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If this is an argument in favor of CP, it\'s not a very strong one. Copyright is a passive form of Copy Protection, backed by the holder\'s physical proof he is the originator of the work. This is fully available to makers of sampleware, who are also protected by Copyright.

So, I don\'t see how this comparison makes a case...except to say that the makers of sampleware should be supported in placing more onerous restrictions on their copyrighted work than we musicians can put on ours.

In fact, the opportunity exists for sample developers to easily place identifying watermarks and subcodes into their work, by means of watermarks, serialized installers, and methods which can outright guarantee that a violator of their copyright can be identified.

A lock is a lock. No matter how many iterations of technology are layered on top, it remains a simple lock. It must have a means of being opened, and the mechanism for doing so must be attached to it. Even if that mechanism includes dongles, challenge/response, hard disk profiling, or retina scanning. Even if it includes handshaking with a string of computers over Al Gore\'s fine internet, every time you want to open it.

A lock is still a lock. It is a dumb, blunt device, which on its own requires nothing to break except a person\'s studying it long enough to know where its weakness lies.

People buy $200 high-tech carbon-fiber polymer locks for their bicycles. Street punks spray them with freon, and shatter them with a hammer. No lock is invulnerable.

And once the lock is broken, it\'s a looting fest. What\'s more, since this locked software is often used as a method of distributing demos, the locks are effectively released to the entire world. Hackers get hard-ons just thinking about working the puzzle--liberating the data for all their wanker friends.

Identification, however, if done right...CAN catch thieves. What\'s more, done right, it can starve the hacker for anything to do. Randomize the identifcation data throughout a sample library, and you can achieve a low-cost, highly unremovable watermark. The lock isn\'t traveling with the data!! There\'s nothing to use to decode, or even identify, the ID.

Take Michiel\'s example of his Halion library above for the picture perfect example. He sold \"a couple.\" I\'m guessing that\'s not literally two, but a few, before he found it on the pirate channel. No identification. No chance of pressing charges. No chance of blacklisting the offending party.

And I guarantee you...I GUARANTEE YOU, the original buyer didn\'t do the pirating. Nope. He shared. With a \"trusted\" friend. Then THAT friend shared, and boom. Over. Done.

Stop that original share, with the ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that he will be affected, and you are speaking to a person with stakes. A person who invested. A person who for whatever reason has the wherewithal to buy high-grade libraries. A PERSON WHO HAS SOMETHING TO LOSE IF HE LOSES HIS RIGHT TO BUY SAMPLEWARE!!!

This isn\'t rocket science, folks. You can build all the elaborate locks in the world, and they\'re no more secure than the lock on your little sister\'s diary. They\'re locks. Nothing more. One thing will cure piracy. RISK. Otherwise, you may as well be trying to cure melanoma with a band aid. Ain\'t gonna happen.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Giga without CP is a very shallow victory.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you buy it, they will come. Giga 3.0 is going to sell, and sell very well by all indications. The reception is overwhelmingly enthusiastic, and the design potential is practically limitless. Developers who won\'t support it for CP reasons will lose sales to the smart businesspeople who know an opportunity when they see it. Trust me on this one. Nobody\'s going to leave money on the table. Not in this market, and not in this economy. Think about it...Giga users, as a market, are low hanging fruit. It\'s not like trying to sell to kids or hackers that prefer the smaller footprint, presumably \"hipper\" platforms. Giga users are like luxury car buyers. They\'re already paying a premium for hardware and running complex rigs. That\'s why Michiel and all these guys sell more Giga libraries than Kontakt and Halion libraries. Different demographic. You may hear some sabres rattling, but when the chips are down, and the money is on the table, people are going to take it. This is the way of the world.

Go Back to forum