• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SAM Horns or Dan Dean Brass Ensembles?

Re: SAM Horns or Dan Dean Brass Ensembles?

IMO Dan Dean and SAM horns ahve a pretty different sound.

While both can do anything from \"padlike/soft\" to \"epic\"

Dan Dean seems to have more \"extremes\" of the dynamic range. FFF has ALOT of bite, and PPP is SUPER soft.

SAM has more of what most people consider the \"useful\" dynamic range. The forte/Double Forte is powerfull but doesn\'t have the same bite as DD. This however is something that I sometimes want and isn\'t something I can get from DD.

both are really amazing and its up to the sound you need. They are both incredibly good choices.

I will say that SAM is at such a low price that you should get it even if you do get DD. Its a library with a price that is stupifyingly low for its quality and usability.

There is no such thing as \'should I by SAM Horns OR...\' You just buy it, everyone does and everyone in the world will own SAM Horns. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Its insanely cheap for what it is and what it is is just too good.

I have the Solo horn and am awaiting the full package, but I have to say that even the solo is extremely playable and is a simply wonderful recording.

For those of you who have both try layering dans horns with sam. VERY COOL.

I second whats already been said. Sam and Dan Dean sound very different. Neither is a replacement for the other.

SAM Horns if your budget is limited to ~$99.

If you can afford DDBE, then buy BOTH ;-)

I have both, and am extremely pleased with both.

SAM Horns or Dan Dean Brass Ensembles?

I need French Horns for a project I am currently working on. I know that SAM Horns are out there, and they seem to be great. But I also know that I might need the other brass intruments in the future. So I was wondering, should I pay the extra money now and get Dan Dean Brass Ensembles, or should I go with SAM Horns? Does anybody experienced the two librairies?

Also, is the SAM team planning to sample other brass instruments in the future?

First of all let me start by saying that Dan Dean Brass Ensemble is incredible! It totally blows everything else out of the water (at least right now). The sounds are extremely usable and the mix very well with the rest of the instruments.

Now....SAM Horns is about $600 cheaper and as far as horns are concerned, extremely good.

I don\'t think that Trumpets or Trombones are the next venture for the SAM team....I believe percussion is.

If you need the full enchilada within the next 3 months I would seriously consider DDBE.

If you want to save some cash and all you really need are great sounding horns, go with SAM.

Ditto on buying both. They are incredible!

Just remember that the DDBE are a total Brass Solution. All instruments interact beautifully. I find that the Sam Horns are a little mellower a little more bottom end, yet the DDBE Horns bottom end is probably performed more precisely. I simply can\'t decide which one I like better. Its a happy problem. I would find it hard to believe that VSL or QLO could improve on either of these.

You guys should post more DDBE demos!!! I\'ve seen only few. I want more!

..well I think I made my point.

Tapani S. aka Hallatar

Thank you guys. I decided that I will get SAM Horns for now, and then maybe get DDBE later this year. I think as you all said that I cannot go wrong by owning the two librairies...

I am still struggling with PayPal to get my account activated... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I hope I\'ll be able to order soon... These horns seem to be amazing.

good choice.

In fact I\'d say this is the way to go for anyone thinking of getting both. Get SAM as soon as you can. You may find you dont need DDBE, or atleast you\'ll have an awesome library to hold you over.

Go Back to forum