• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Spring will come

Share/Bookmark

Spring will come

Enjoying the sunshine and warm water here, while some of you are shoveling snow,freezing and generally fed up with the winter, I attempted to show a glimmer of hope, that not too many weeks later, spring will sprung!
    A little on the loud side, so turn your volume down if you kindly listen to it.

Ted

https://app.box.com/s/0fi29tpt1b7b0wug851x

Re: Spring will come

Hi ted,

The postman always rings twice...

Sparkling harp, enchanting brilliant flute, heart warming horn... The absent sun is more than welcome and that is exactly what you did with your "Spring Wil Come". We can't complain so far in Western Europe. It looks like spring here. Mild temperatures, sometimes a nice sun, blue skies... But winter is to come for sure.
    You did again a magnificent job with your evocation. Nice orchestral work, splendid orchestration. Only (and that's not meant as criticism) the high strings are a bit too much to the left and placed behind the woodwinds (so it seems). Woodwinds that are superb!

Thanks for this heart warming piece!

Max

(I had to make a choice about which thread to reply to, since it was accidentally double posted - I arbitrarily chose this one, now hopefully the duplicate post will just fade down the page - Hope nobody replies to it, confusing the issue!)

EDIT 1/18/14: Later down the post I point out to Ted that contrary to his worry that the file was too loud, he actually had quite a bit of headroom left to fill. I did a screenshot showing him how even though his MP3 sounds fine, it's not at the volume of a professional recording. I'm including this edit because I can see people are taking my information in the wrong way, as if I was hassling Ted, and showing that the question of volume really is often misunderstood. Volume is RELATIVE. We can play an MP3, it seems just fine - but in actuality it could be significantly lower than it should be, making it necessary for someone with a calibrated system to turn the volume up so it can match the professional level the user is accustomed to. That's all I was trying to address in my replies. Ted's MP3 sounds fine - And then there are volume tweaks that could be done, as per my reply. That's all I was talking about--I wasn't attacking Ted. There's no need to defend him or criticize me. Thanks.

I always look forward to spring also, Ted. Though I'm finding myself enjoying all the seasons more equally as I get older, I still have to admit that the fresh new beginnings that come with spring touch the soul in the most uplifting way that any time of the year brings.

In your very pretty, effortlessly rippling music, you have certainly caught the anticipatory hope we can feel as the first glimmers of weather changing appear. And of course the mood is bucolic, and very warmly, nicely so. Spring comes to the city too, but the associations of the countryside and spring are inseparable, and so I'm grateful for the vision of sunlit meadows to come that I hear in your music.

Here's an unsolicited tech tip, Ted. When you said the recording was rather loud, and suggested we turn our volume down, I was prepared for something that maybe crossed over into the dreaded red or something. But, my friend, this recording is not too loud in the least. In fact, it has a lot of "head room," which is the wasted DB range between the loudest sections and maximum value.

To show you what I mean, I imported your file into Sound Forge. I made a copy and brought the volume up to what it would be for a professional release. That copy isn't "too loud" - it sounds the same as your file, only it filling up the full DB volume spectrum the way it needs to. Playing that version, the usual playback volume level on my system didn't have to be adjusted, but when playing your file, I had to turn the knob Up.

Below is a screenshot that shows what I'm talking about. Notice also that the 4 seconds of silence was cut off the beginning and the extra silence at the end was also cut off. Those edits, along with the maximizing and normalizing could all be done in the free audio editor Audacity. AND - please don't confuse all this with the "volume wars" in pop music. This isn't about squashing sound so it's all the same level like in pop, it's just abut making sure music is mastered at its full DB potential. Those healthier levels bring a richness to the music, and matches the levels listeners are used to on professional recordings.

Thanks for the beautiful music - Very enjoyable.

Randy

Wonderful work, Ted.
    The right conclusion for a day spent listening to Finzi and Delius.
    Bravo.

PS. Volume is ok here, while there are more sounds on the left channel than on the right one. Are my ears of different shape?
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

This is a very nice gentle flowing piece. It did make me think of spring. I really did enjoy your work here. Thanks for posting. Jay

Thanks Jay, glad you like it.

Ted

Thanks Fabio,

My music make you holding something to your left ear? (just kidding)
    I may have over-compensated for my failing left ear (no kidding!).
    You are saying it is a full time job to be Italian? Do you know that Hungarian is the only language which require the use of both side of the brain at the same time? You have it easy amice...
    Thanks

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Thanks Fabio,

My music make you holding something to your left ear? (just kidding)
    I may have over-compensated for my failing left ear (no kidding!).
    You are saying it is a full time job to be Italian? Do you know that Hungarian is the only language which require the use of both side of the brain at the same time? You have it easy amice...
    Thanks

Ted
    Hi ted,

As far as I know (I've been a language teacher for my whole professional career), next to Hungarian there are Finnish, Basque and Gaelic as non info-European languages (Gaelic is the most adapted). So i suppose these native speakers use both their brain halves as well... (LOL) Even with four halves, we possibly couldn't understand a word of all these languages, because they have nothing in common with the other main-stemm European languages. All these have lots of words and syntaxes in common, the four above just don't (except for the new, mostly technical entries).
    But I guess Fabio didn't mean his language... A fulltime job is rather a freudian expression and refers mainly to Italian men...

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    But I guess Fabio didn't mean his language... A fulltime job is rather a freudian expression and refers mainly to Italian men...
    … whose brain is seldom greater than a half of a regular sized one.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Max, thanks, but it was only a joke. By the way, according to recent findings, the apparent relationship between the Finn and Hungarian languages exist because the Finns picked up Hungarian words FROM the Hungarians when they coexisted for a while, not that their origin was common. However, Sanskrit appears to be the origin of Hungarians, (Hunor and Magor Nimrod).
    Thanks Fabio for your comment, my daughter advised me that the picture is not you, so I am wrong again, both halves are going soft and unusable...

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast