• Register
  • Help

Topic: HOLY COW---Notre Dame de Budapest, gorgeous organ library

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

HOLY COW---Notre Dame de Budapest, gorgeous organ library

Hi guys,

Don\'t know how I missed this one when it came out, since I really love pipe organ libraries. Thanks to Pete Snell for giving me the heads-up. I will get a more cohesive description of this library to you once I have gotten more of it under my fingers.

The basics: Two DVDs, Giga 2 format with Giga 3 support coming. Lots of stops. Gorgeous detail (stereo U87 recording, not the first thing I would have tried, but blow me down, it was an inspired choice...extremely fat and detailed).

Two organs represented here, from two very impressive cathedrals in Budapest. The recordings were done in the wee hours, 32/96 resolution, then very transparently noise reduced. These guys should be in charge of noise reduction for the world--really transparent, and very artifact free. A nice complete set of stops and combinations, with guidelines on applying them to literature. More stops and combos coming in the Giga 3 version. Nice controller based implementation of swells and crescendos.

And the sound. Whoa--the tuttis are fierce, and the range of sounds goes from there to very delicate. It is recorded in much the same style as the first Peter Ewers organ...lots of cathedral tail programmed as releases. A good notch more transparent and detailed, though. What really strikes me is the nice representation of \"choked air\" on the releases...you hear that sound of the airstream being stopped as you release the key, and it really adds to the experience, hearing the pipe respond to the cutoff of the air. There are controller based switches and levels for the release triggers, and other controller assignments for opening/closing the swellboxes.

Also, there are looped sounds of the organ engines, stops and combinations being operated, the church bells outside ringing (lots of these...they suggest drowning them in reverb and slipping them under your organ recordings for authenticity), even the sound of someone slipping on and off the bench. Very cool stuff for simulating the actual conditions of an organ performance. These guys went all out on this aspect.

One of the things that I found absolutely coolest is that a significant part of the proceeds of this sample library are directed towards the upkeep of the organs which were recorded. It has a 30 page book, filled with facts about the library, about the organs themselves and the Cathedrals, about terminology used in organ literature, about organs in general, and some tuning tables which you can use to alter the tunings to fit various periods of literature.

Anyway, I\'ll try to get some more information up as I get it under my fingers. This library really sounds awesome, though, and I am so excited I just had to say something. Every now and then, libraries come along whose sound is just inspiring--you can\'t stop playing, because the experience is exhilarating. This is one of those, at least to me. I may have blasted half my hearing away yesterday afternoon, playing the tuttis. They are scary huge. More later.

Re: HOLY COW---Notre Dame de Budapest, gorgeous organ library

Yeah, they really sound awesome. Simon posted this post about them a little while back:

http://www.northernsounds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006446

PS... Here is their website link:
    http://www.orgona.org/e_index.php

They sound incredible. All with real verb. I\'ll have to give that demo gig a go. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The demo is pretty good, except the damn bells... also, the \"A\" version has a wierd sounding release sample (it could be tweaked)...

Very beautiful sounding though, I\'ve been eyeing it for months now...

Go Back to forum