• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VSL and AES

Share/Bookmark

VSL and AES

So, VSL is suppose to be revealing their new baby at AES. Anyone attending that can give a lowdown?

Re: VSL and AES

I went to AES today and I have to say that I thought all of Eric Persing\'s new instruments were superb. Bass Trilogy and Atmosphere were truly impressive. I can\'t make any comments about the Vienna library, because I will have a competing product soon. I think AES is a pretty useless forum for demoing sample libraries, though. Most of the people milling around at the sample booths didn\'t even know what Gigastudio was. Tascam was saying nothing about 3.0. Although, they did announce a spring release.

The VSL stuff was absolutely stunning. It seems they\'ve also cut the price for the full pop in half from the rumoured $10k. I\'m sure we can thank Nick\'s upcoming QL library for that. VSL will initally be distributed on DVD ROM ONLY. CDs later will be a \'possibility\'. HD distribution will begin in Q4 2003. Total library size at it\'s completion will be 250gigs. They have VIP pricing so that if you buy the packages as they release them, instead of waiting for the whole thing to be released, it will ultimately be cheaper (by about $300). There\'s a First Edition and a Pro Edition each with different pricing structures. First edition is supposed to be released in November. It\'s 16bit. Pro Edition has the addition of a lot more instruments plus 24bit. The first edition will be discontinued upon release of the Pro edition.

That\'s all I remember right now. They gave out a very cool CDs with movies on the making of the library and interviews with a lot of the folks involved. The shots of the helicopter above the \"Silent Stage\" are pretty humorous to me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

All of the people I met at the booth were very nice and helpful. This one sure looks like it\'s going to be a winner! Can\'t wait!

The first package, Orchestra Cube, is under $2000. It\'s 16bit to operate in Giga 2.5. The Pro package is for 3.0, and there\'ll be an upgrade path from the Orchestra Cube to Pro.

I am blown away by what they are doing. The stuff sounds really, really good and the attention to detail is unprecedented.

Their demo was incredibly impressive IMO. I\'m really looking forward to it myself, and I think there is nothing else like this on the market. The intervalic performance MIDI stuff they are doing is pretty mind-boggling. You really have to play this to get how amazing it is to have the same note played on a keyboard sound different each time you play it, depending on what interval you are playing....(just like real strings!)....to pull this off is just amazing...I know how hard this is to make sound natural.

The main thing I am wondering about is the organization. I saw the heavy abbreviation, and that could be a tricky thing to learn everything that\'s in there and how to make the best use of so much material with the myriad of possible ways to set this up. Of course, that\'s just a matter of learning the library and spending a lot of time with it to get the best results.

One thing for sure is that there is no lack of quality orchestral material for composers to choose from now......it\'s all going to come down to what you do with it.....exciting times for sure!

(BTW, I have absolutely no involvement in VSL in case anyone was wondering).

spectrum.

PS. Thanks for the kind words Nick.....nice to see you at the booth yesterday!

Also....I have to say that $1800 for 36 GIGS of an entire orchestra, and percussion is insanely cheap.

Sure the big version is some serious coin, but hey......

1.5 million samples???

That\'s just a whole other kind of product that there is nothing to compare it to.

No one has ever done orchestral stuff with this level of detail and commitment...and I have to give them my sincerest respect......just awesome.

spectrum

Wooohooo!

I\'ll be able to afford those amasing strings!!

Great news! Thanks Sharmy.

passacaglia:
    Please take any of the new string lbraries out there and make me a demo that sounds like the VSL violines section demo and when you do, share the wizdom with the rest of us.

Alex

Originally posted by spectrum:
    I saw the heavy abbreviation, and that could be a tricky thing to learn everything that\'s in there and how to make the best use of so much material with the myriad of possible ways to set this up.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It looks more daunting than it really is. They\'ve developed a labeling that\'s consistent throughout each section. Once you catch on, it\'s pretty quick from there.

Originally posted by lex:

passacaglia:
    Please take any of the new string lbraries out there and make me a demo that sounds like the VSL violines section demo and when you do, share the wizdom with the rest of us.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sorry, that is my opinion .... the mature thing would be to ignore it rather than offer up some sort of childish pissing-contest.

If the demos offered at AES are ever made public on the web site, i\'d be glad to have the opportunity to change my mind.

passacaglia

passacaglia:

I don\'t understand why do you see my comment as a piss-competition invitation?

Just wanted to point out that the fact is, that untill Nick\'s library comes out there is really no competition for VSL.

The demo I was refering to is public.
    http://vsl.co.at/downloader.pl/sounds/Violinen_Ensemble.mp3

Alex

Go Back to forum