• Register
  • Help

Topic: How can you 'fine tune' a sample?

Share/Bookmark

How can you \'fine tune\' a sample?

I\'ve found this great gamelan sound called the gong besar but noticed that it is not in a normal key. It is tuned to be inbetween keys. I guess it\'s just the western tuning.
    Regardless, I want to use this sound with my normal sounds like piano and strings, but I need to fine tune it so it fits with the rest of my sounds. I know I probably need to launch my instrument editor to do this, but I have no clue how to load the gong besar sound in and do this. Can someone help me out with this?

Re: How can you \'fine tune\' a sample?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:
    I\'ve found this great gamelan sound called the gong besar but noticed that it is not in a normal key. It is tuned to be inbetween keys. I guess it\'s just the western tuning.
    Regardless, I want to use this sound with my normal sounds like piano and strings, but I need to fine tune it so it fits with the rest of my sounds. I know I probably need to launch my instrument editor to do this, but I have no clue how to load the gong besar sound in and do this. Can someone help me out with this?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damon, If this is a .gig file open it in GigaStudio Instrument Editor. In the upper left window double click the instrument to open the properties dialog. Enter positive or negative numbers in the \"tuning adjust (cents)\" box to correct the pitch, keeping in mind that 100 cents is a half step. Remember that you will have to load the instrument with the GS load button (it\'s to the left of the load/reload indicators) and then use the Apply button in the dialog box in order to audition your changes. - Doug

Thanks for your reply Doug! will do.

If you had a problem with varying pitch problems, though, as opposed to a consistent pitch offset -- then the feature Doug mentioned would not be enough. You would need an envelope-type pitch editor.

If Gigasampler doesn\'t already have that, it would be a handy feature for those few occasions where a pitch offset wasn\'t enough.

[This message has been edited by Dante (edited 10-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dante (edited 10-26-2000).]

Go Back to forum