• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Greatest Commands

Share/Bookmark

The Greatest Commands

I have not posted in a while so I thought I would just share this simple woodwind quartet arrangement of the hymn "The Greatest Commands." It's not complicated at all. I think I did it more of a balancing exercise than anything else since musically there's not much to it. The piece uses GPO Flute solo KS, Bassoon solo
    1, Clarinet solo, and Piccolo solo with vibrato. Included is the score also if you want follow along.
    https://app.box.com/s/3rit6v0g48pw9hviabja
    Jay's suggestions edited version: https://app.box.com/s/fagdm282kppf7z1alt3m
    ~Rodney

Re: The Greatest Commands

It sounds nice. I think that maybe the instruments could be balanced a little more. The bassoon comes out a little heavy at times, and the piccolo was a little to subdued. Thanks for posting. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    It sounds nice. I think that maybe the instruments could be balanced a little more. The bassoon comes out a little heavy at times, and the piccolo was a little to subdued. Thanks for posting. Jay
    Thanks Jay. That's the type of things I wanted to know.
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    And here are the changes you suggested. Let me know if this is closer to what you had in mind. The bassoon lowered, piccolo higher in volume, plus I added some more rubato for musicality purposes.
    https://app.box.com/s/fagdm282kppf7z1alt3m
    ~Rod

Very nice little exercise, but a bit tricky to play... A normal flute will have great difficulty in playing a Bb2... The bassoon is OK.

Again a tribute to the excellent Garritan woodwinds.

Thanks for sharing,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Very nice little exercise, but a bit tricky to play... A normal flute will have great difficulty in playing a Bb2... The bassoon is OK.

Again a tribute to the excellent Garritan woodwinds.

Thanks for sharing,

Max
    Hey Max! I should've told y'all that this is a reduce score all in concert pitch. This was written as a high school band warm-up. I simply wanted to render the work with the solo woodwind sounds. If you notice in the actual mp3, the instruments are all transposed to their correct sounding 8va's. Thanks for listening!
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Hey Max! I should've told y'all that this is a reduce score all in concert pitch. This was written as a high school band warm-up. I simply wanted to render the work with the solo woodwind sounds. If you notice in the actual mp3, the instruments are all transposed to their correct sounding 8va's. Thanks for listening!
    Rod
    So I noticed, the Garritan flute can't play the Bb2 I suppose. It is possible with some tricks, buy it's certainly not standard playing and impossible in rapid passages. Of course it was a warming up. The score order was somewhat confusing too.

Thanks for the additional information.

Max

Nice exercise, Rodney. I listened to the "Jay" version, and the balance is good, that was a helpful observation.

These musicians never breathe! A quick breath/break at the end of every second measure or so would instantly make the recording more natural sounding, instead of having this non-stop, computer-triggered sound.

And here's a Box tip: When there's only one link posted to an entire folder, we can't look at the score and listen to the MP3 at the same time. You can get links for each file and post them separately, ideally using the Link function in the menu so you can have text for the visible links instead of the list of confusing URLs - e.g -

"The Greatest Command" MP3

"The Greatest Command" score

Good to hear from you, Rodney!

EDIT: I meant to ask why the instruments are only given numbers and are out of order in the score--?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Nice exercise, Rodney. I listened to the "Jay" version, and the balance is good, that was a helpful observation.

These musicians never breathe! A quick breath/break at the end of every second measure or so would instantly make the recording more natural sounding, instead of having this non-stop, computer-triggered sound.

And here's a Box tip: When there's only one link posted to an entire folder, we can't look at the score and listen to the MP3 at the same time. You can get links for each file and post them separately, ideally using the Link function in the menu so you can have text for the visible links instead of the list of confusing URLs - e.g -

"The Greatest Command" MP3

"The Greatest Command" score

Good to hear from you, Rodney!

EDIT: I meant to ask why the instruments are only given numbers and are out of order in the score--?

Randy
    Hello Randy! Thanks for listening to my little exercise and thank you so much for the tip with box. That helps a lot, my friend, so thank you so much for taking the time to write that.

Concerning score, let me see if I can explain it to the best of my ability. What you basically see is what you would find in a hymnal with score order SATB and the number represents when the parts come in. I wrote this as a warm-up for a middle/ high school ensemble and did not want any instrument bound to a part so I could say trumpets play part 3 while the saxophones play part 1. It could be different each time the ensemble plays it. I just chose to do a rendering with the piccolo, flute, clarinet, and bassoon because they are some of the strongest samples in GPO4. If this piece was strictly scored for them then I would place them in score order and on their parts concerning when to play: piccolo play 4th time only, flute play all 4 times, clarinet start on the third time, and bassoon starts on the repeat.

I knew you were going to notice that the players could not breath, LOL. I even wrote rests in the original rendering then took them out saying to myself, "Ah, hopefully Randy won't notice, hehe." But you did! Great job. "What, I am the only wind player who can stagger breath? JK.
    ~Rodney

Rod, no need to excuse this lovely rendering. It is very nice an skillfully done.
    Thanks for posting

Ted

Go Back to forum