• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 and Rewire

Share/Bookmark

GS3 and Rewire

The only reason i hate using Gigastudio is i cant render to wave within cubase, i have to record to a file then import it in. This seems so much work when i can just patch in halion or kontakt, pick a sample, and then render. Will the rewire support in GS3 allow me to render to wave within in cubase? For example can I just go file export audio (in cubase) like i do for a vsti track?

Re: GS3 and Rewire

From my experience with Reason & Sonar, yep.

Originally posted by O Boy:
    From my experience with Reason & Sonar, yep.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Only if you\'re running the Giga and your sequencer on the same machine. AFAIK.
    However, you can always loop back a digital audio feed and record straight into the sequencer.

Hmmm, certainly it would have to be a realtime render, yes ?

For now, i\'ll just use the digital out piped to sequencer method. Now if i could only control the PC\'s from the mac, and not need the other keyboard/mouse/KVM.

OT: Does anyone know if there is a KVM that allows PC\'s and Mac to be connected ?

Now if i could only control the PC\'s from the mac, and not need the other keyboard/mouse/KVM.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There\'s remote desktop software that is cross platform (Mac, PC, Linux, etc) and it\'s freeware;

www.realvnc.com

Rewire is usefull for running Giga on the same machine as your sequencer and getting the audio into it more easily. For remote computers, solutions like FX teleport can work real well too.
    Also, Giga 3.0 does have a 64 channel capture to wave (2.5 is stereo only) so you can capture a large mix at once to discrete tracks.

Dave

Check your soundcard\'s ability to record what comes out your monitors. My Direct Pro 24/96 internal inputs 5,6 have this ability, so I bypass Giga capture and use my soundcard.

This means that i have to be careful to have metronome tunred off as well as mic. It will record everything.

I have actually found I like this way better because I can skip to any point in the piece, hit record and it renders immediately. I don\'t have to wait until I import it to see the overs.

Originally posted by David Govett:

Also, Giga 3.0 does have a 64 channel capture to wave (2.5 is stereo only) so you can capture a large mix at once to discrete tracks.

Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Waitaminnit...was that a typo? *64* channel capture-to-wave? Holy moley. I thought it was \"only\" 8.

--Eric

Yeah, ReWire should do what you\'re asking for.

It\'s 64-channel capture to wave, the brochure was wrong.

I\'m using a Dr Bott KVM to switch between Mac and PC. I have an Apple USB Pro keyboard and Kensington Expert Mouse Pro, works great. Still want a second monitor, though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"Waitaminnit...was that a typo? *64* channel capture-to-wave? Holy moley. I thought it was \"only\" 8.\"

That was one of several things in the \"subject to change\" catagory.

Anyway, 64 channels capture to wave and reqire transfer as well. The mixer has 128 channels by the way.
    Also, there are 256 dimensions, twice the reported 128. Gig files are not limited to 4 gigs in size. They created a file system that can allow a gig file up to 512 gigs if one is so inclined. (it splits the gig file into segments that windows can handle)

Later
    Dave

Go Back to forum